Cleaned Carbs - Same Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Easier to check the synch than pull everything apart again.....
    my thoughts exactly.

Comment

Check your mixture screw first - that's even easier!
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Check your mixture screw first - that's even easier!
        Ya I'll play with that tonight. I noticed the caps were off before I cleaned them so someone's been in there already.

Comment

If you didn't set them correctly that's a likely problem, but also if you didn't take them out to clean the carburetors that's another likely problem.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by grandman View Post
            Ya I'll play with that tonight. I noticed the caps were off before I cleaned them so someone's been in there already.
            And you didn't turn them in to find out where they were set and then remove them when you[soaked] them over night . Sounds to me like you are cutting corners, what you will need to do is a complete tear down of the carbs, dip and clean them thoroughly, replace the o-rings, do a bench sync, then reinstall, then do the final sync and tuning. Something is dirty in the carbs. If you follow the tutorial they will work fine and your bike will run smoother then you can imagine it just takes time and there are no short cuts. Good luck
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              If you didn't set them correctly that's a likely problem, but also if you didn't take them out to clean the carburetors that's another likely problem.
              That's right everyone - I did not take the mixture screws out when I soaked them. Bad boy. Cutting corners to save time does not always save time. I'm still going to start with the easy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by grandman View Post
                That's right everyone - I did not take the mixture screws out when I soaked them. Bad boy. Cutting corners to save time does not always save time. I'm still going to start with the easy stuff.
                Even if you clear up the immediate concern, your carbs are still filled with rubber O-rings that have been soaking in gasoline for 30 years. Best to change them now and cross that off the list of possible future problems.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not to mention that if "soaked" means you dipped the carbs with the o-rings in place, they are likely trashed now since the carb dip eats the rubber.

What did you soak them in overnight?

Comment

Honestly, I'd back all the way up and start over or you'll be chasing your tail for awhile. It's a lot faster to do it right the first time in the long run (says the guy who's still learning that fact when it comes to electrical issues).
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks everyone. The mixture screw was almost falling out. Set it to 2 turns out and runs great.

Comment

Working...
                      X