too lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too lean?

I just reset mixture screws on my 82 GS750 using the highest idle method .The motorcycle is stock including airbox,mufflers,main jets and airfilter. The screws are now set as follows #1) 1 1/2 #2) 1 1/2 #3)1 1/2 #4 1 3/4 . The spark plugs look good after a ride but is these settings seem too lean ?

If it idles fine and has decent throttle response that's all that matters, the screws don't affect mixture at higher power at all.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      If it idles fine and has decent throttle response that's all that matters, the screws don't affect mixture at higher power at all.
      Agreed. After all, those are the IDLE MIXTURE adjustment screws.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Has anyone here tried those glass spark plug thingys that enable you to adjust idle mixture for the color of the combustion flame? I think they're called 'Colortune' or something like that...

Comment

I have one and am not real thrilled with it for CV carbs though some people really like them. I've heard they work better on VM carbs. Wanna buy mine??
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

From what I gather the Colortune plugs are specifically for setting the idle mixture, which is what I'd like to do more precisely. I'm interested by your comment that it's easier to use on VM carbies -- can you explain that a bit more?

Did you find it difficult to use, or difficult to 'read', or... ? I'm interested to know because setting the idle mixture is ideally 'per carburettor', but I've never had any luck with the RPM method.

Comment

Working...
            X