Blanked off port in Carb No2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blanked off port in Carb No2?

Hi guys, when rebuilding my carbs I've noticed that No2 (or No3 depending on which way you look) has a blank in one of the inside ports - the little brass ball.

Can anyone shed any light on this please??

Thanks in advance,
    Dec

AS you sit on bike #3 is third from left- so ......
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hold it in front of you with the airbox side facing you. Look to see if the mixture screw on the side is facing to the left or right. The 1 and 2 mixture screws are on the left sides and 3 and 4 are on the right..like in this picture...
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys, I dont have the carbs to hand, but pretty sure it's number 2.

Can anyone explain the blanking plug?

Here are mine built up....

Comment

Note that 1 does not have a brass vent nipple and 2 does. Also the mixture screws face to the left.

Here are 3 and 4. Note the screws are to the right. Best way to tell 3 from 4 is to look at the big 10MM hole were the fuel tubes would go. Number 4 has one that is OPEN ON THE LEFT and CLOSED OFF ON THE RIGHT. Number 3 has both fuel tube holes open.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's used to close off the bowl vent so the same passage can be used as a vacuum port.

Also, your carbs are assembled in the wrong order.

The BB is located in crab#3
            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

And yours are built up totally opposite of what they should be...look at my pics again.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                And yours are built up totally opposite of what they should be...look at my pics again.
                Whoa.... you're right, I totally screwed up there!!

I've got a pic before they were dissembled, and 1-4 are inverted. Luckily they're only mounted on the back plate at this stage, I have the choke lever etc ready to fit.

Cheers for your help!

Dec

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  It's used to close off the bowl vent so the same passage can be used as a vacuum port.

Also, your carbs are assembled in the wrong order.

The BB is located in crab#3
                  Thanks mate

Comment

Don't forget to put the carbs in the proper order...
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Dec79 View Post

I've got a pic before they were dissembled, and 1-4 are inverted. Luckily they're only mounted on the back plate at this stage, I have the choke lever etc ready to fit.

Cheers for your help!

Dec
                      Its not just 1 and 4 that are wrong. 2 and 3 are wrong in that pic as well. Make sure you double check that the carbs are in the right order. Each is different. If you mistakenly swap 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, the outside carb and cylinder will do nothing because it won't receive fuel. Ask me how I know this . . .

Here is how you can identify the carbs every time.

First, check the fuel ports. 2 and 3 have fuel ports that go all the way, and you can see straight through them. 1 and 4 only have one fuel path, so you cannot see through them.

Second, now that you have paired 1 and 4 and 2 and 3, the next clue to arranging them is the air screws. Those face to the outside, so you can adjust them on the bike. As you look at the carb with the air intake facing you, the No. 1 and 2 carbs have air screws pointing left, the 3 and 4 carbs have air screws pointing right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dec79 View Post

Cheers for your help!

Dec
                        You'd be pulling them off that back plate anyway, based on that pic, even if they were in the correct order.

Anyone else see why?

Comment

You mean other than the throttle linkage missing??? No choke rail or forks?? He did state that he had to put them on so i assume this was only a mock up run.
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                            You'd be pulling them off that back plate anyway, based on that pic, even if they were in the correct order.

Anyone else see why?
                            Two of the bowl drains are facing the wrong way?
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              You mean other than the throttle linkage missing??? No choke rail or forks?? He did state that he had to put them on so i assume this was only a mock up run.
                              Yep.

The choke rail and forks can go in on the rack, but not easily.

That throttle linkage, however, is impossible to install once the carbs are on the rack.

Ask me how I know . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X