82-83 choke mechanism at the bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82-83 choke mechanism at the bars

Can someone post a pic of the choke mechanism at the handlebars for a 1983 gs 1100? I am ultrasonic cleaning a set of later model carbs for a customer & I am only familiar with the 1980 style.

Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by nastyjones; 06-03-2012, 01:28 PM.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

You don't say which bike but I grabbed the diagram for an 850. I'm sure someone will have a better picture but will this work? (18-20 are the choke mechanism)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I liked your other pic better. So it's the one that goes through the steering head?
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Oh yea okay. I'll repost it. What bike are we talking about?

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
          Can someone post a pic of the choke mechanism at the handlebars for a 1983 gs 1100? I am ultrasonic cleaning a set of later model carbs for a customer & I am only familiar with the 1980 style.

Cheers, Paul
          1983 gs1100

Comment

Cheers, Paul
            1983 gs1100

Comment

1983 gs1100
              ED, or G?.................

Comment

Didn't know there was a difference. What is the difference anyway.

Comment

The G is shaft drive and the E is chain drive.

You can just see the thumb lever for the choke in this picture. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...K/IMG_2742.jpg
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 06-04-2012, 07:54 AM.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I meant a difference in the choke mechanisms.

Comment

the plungers are the same its the shaft that is different. instead of having a lever on the left hand side to operate the choke, the cable version just has a small return spring.
                      the "fork" that operates the choke on no.2 carb has an extra little bracket on it, as does the throttle cable bracket so the choke cable can attatch to it and operate the choke that way instead. still rotates the shaft and lifts the plungers in the same way
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just go custom......
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic
                        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                          Just go custom......
                          How? by doing what? I liked it when there was a little lever right at the carbs.

Comment

I thought you were talking about the little hand knob plunger, not the mechanism on the carb bodies.
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic
                            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                              I thought you were talking about the little hand knob plunger, not the mechanism on the carb bodies.

Here's the story. I have 36 mm carbs from an 1150 on my 80 gs1100. I am also rebuilding a set for a customer. It seems I can't use the choke mechanism at the bars or the choke cable from the 80 as the little nipples on each end are different. I guess what I want to know is how did the 1150's operate their choke, a different cable for sure but what about at the bars. Can I just order a choke cable for an 1150?

Comment

Working...
                              X