Carb Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild

I posted in the General area about my garage stinking of fuel and the general consensus, I think, was that it was in the carbs. So I'm prepping for a rebuild.

I'm planning to get Saltydogs o-ring kit, the large intake o-rings and the 16mm hex screws for the intake boots.

I've been looking at the fiche and am wondering if I should get the float gaskets? My gut says yes, just to be sure.

Any other parts that I should replace regardless? I know there may be parts that I have to replace once I have the carbs apart due to wear (hopefully not) but do I have my maintenance list of parts complete?

I thought the place to get the O ring kit was here

?

as for the float bowl gaskets, if they are intact and not leaking and no rips tears etc, they should be good to go, but for a few bucks, if you want get new ones...

Comment

That's where I went. Same thing, different name.
      Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      I thought the place to get the O ring kit was here

?

Comment

If the carbs have not been torn down in awhile, the bowl gaskets are not likely to survive the process. You can get a set of new ones from Z1. Might as well grab four top cover gaskets there while you're at it.

With those gaskets and the o-rings, you should be good to go, unless you find some mangled brass bits in there. Those you can replace if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          Might as well grab four top cover gaskets there while you're at it.
          Is this what you are referring to?

I didnt see those for sale for my bike. I found the bowl gaskets but not what you were referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
            Is this what you are referring to?

I didnt see those for sale for my bike. I found the bowl gaskets but not what you were referring to.
            your looking for a carb diaphragm>? is yours torn or have a hole in them<>>>?

Comment

there are no top gaskets, part 13 is your diaphragm and it can be purchased but it's expensive, only needed if it's damaged/torn/holes sometimes even if it has a hole it can be repaired using the glue for patches to put on inner tubes

if you remove the bowl gaskets without damage they can be reused, well I reused mine, they were stuck a bit, I just used a razor blade and gently went all around until they were loose and came off

Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2012, 01:21 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

My bad. I didn't notice that you had CVs, they might not have a gasket at the top. On the VMs, there is another gasket (similar to the bowl gasket) that goes between the carb top and body. This may not be relevant to your rebuild.

Comment

and make sure you put the "TAB" in the correct place when you reassemable them...

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  there are no top gaskets, part 13 is your diaphragm and it can be purchased but it's expensive, only needed if it's damaged/torn/holes sometimes even if it has a hole it can be repaired using the glue for patches to put on inner tubes

if you remove the bowl gaskets without damage they can be reused, well I reused mine, they were stuck a bit, I just used a razor blade and gently went all around until they were loose and came off

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead and get the bowl gaskets. No telling how long it's been since they've been replaced.

I've downloaded Nessism's guide from BassCliff's website and will likely read that through a few times before I turn a screw.

Trying to make this as successful a project as possible. Dispite the fumes, the bike has been running well. Starts right up and I've not noticed any power issues, but that may simply be ignorance on my part and when I get the carbs tuned I may end up realizing I had more bike than I realized. (one can dream right?)

Comment

Doing a little more homework before I order my parts... Yesterday I posted this picture:

After reviewing the carb rebuild instructions, my service manual and the fiche I noticed that this isn't something covered, but it appears to be leaking. I'm looking at nearly $30 in parts if I replace everything on both sides (though the right side (carb #4) doesn't appear to have this problem).

I know some of these parts are not in the usual rebuild o-ring package, but what about part below marked as #20? There are 8 of these required, per the fiche, so two per carb, one on each side I'm assuming.

I just want to know if anyone has experience changing these out and if they are included in the cycleorings.com kit. If not I'll add these to my list of parts.

On an unrelated note, if you look at the first image you can see the clutch cable routing. I have no problems with the clutch, but it doesn't seem like the cable is supposed to be routed there.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                        After reviewing the carb rebuild instructions, my service manual and the fiche I noticed that this isn't something covered, but it appears to be leaking.
                        Why do you think it's leaking?

It's a seal for the throttle shaft. It's purpose it to keep dust and dirt from getting between the shaft and housing and causing wear to both pieces. Once they wear, then excessive amounts of air will be drawn past upsetting the A/F ratio.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          Why do you think it's leaking?

It's a seal for the throttle shaft. It's purpose it to keep dust and dirt from getting between the shaft and housing and causing wear to both pieces. Once they wear, then excessive amounts of air will be drawn past upsetting the A/F ratio.
                          There appears to be some soil below and behind that seal, on the carb body.
                          Short answer, no, they are not included in the o-ring set.

Comment

OK guys, sorry my ignorance may have been showing (definitely). Just to be clear, there is no way for fuel to be leaking from that spot? It may just be coincidental that it happens to be in that location?

Am I adding unnecessary work fooling with those? Looking at the fiche and other instructional docs, it looks like that's not something people mess with unless it's absolutely necessary.

Just trying to cover all my bases, because honestly I'm a bit nervous tearing into my carbs. I know the instructions make it look pretty straight forward but I don't want to turn my running bike into a puttering mess.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              There appears to be some soil below and behind that seal, on the carb body.
                              Please clarify??

IS that the reason He's wanting to replace them, or are you speculating that's the reason He's wanting to replace them.

If that's the reason for his wanting to replace them, any number of things could cause the fuel to be deposited in that area. Backfiring, flooding at one time or another, or just normal fuel seepage over time. If it were me I wouldn't replace them because of the discoloration and dirt adhering to the area.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X