Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running on three cylinders..carb related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks AZR..I think that nails it down to the carbs pretty well. if it was the points, then 1&2 working and 3&4 being intermittent wouldn't make sense. No 3 worked after a while and number four was dead all day, which possibly eliminates the petcock. I'll see if I can clean them this weekend. the main problem is being in Canada, there aren't any good carb cleaners. I'll use the guitar string and use Pine-Sol in an ultrasonic bath.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
      Thanks AZR..I think that nails it down to the carbs pretty well. if it was the points, then 1&2 working and 3&4 being intermittent wouldn't make sense. No 3 worked after a while and number four was dead all day, which possibly eliminates the petcock. I'll see if I can clean them this weekend. the main problem is being in Canada, there aren't any good carb cleaners. I'll use the guitar string and use Pine-Sol in an ultrasonic bath.
      I've used pine-sol before but holly cow what a stink, won't do that again. I've also used vinegar and they both seemed to produce the same end results. Make sure you keep the thread updated with your results. Nothing worse than a guy starting a thread and not finishing it with what fixed the original problem.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I just got back from Wal-mart. I bought a 2L container of Simple Green and a spray can of Gunk Carb medic.
        I'm just getting up the nerve to take them apart.
        I have a small ultrasonic cleaner. I'll put the parts in that (One at a time) for an hour or so with the simple green. I'll then spray the holes and jets with the Gunk stuff.
        I'll probably be reporting back tonight or tomorrow with the results.
        I did buy all the carb gaskets and O-ring kit.

Comment

I'm done...the bike is a 2500$ piece of junk. I spent all day re-building and cleaning the carbs and still only 2 or three cylinders.
          What a collosal waste of time and money this stupid thing has been.

Comment

Points can cause intermittent problems? What do I look for?
            Thanks
            http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...nt=Cap0002.mp4
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm done...the bike is a 2500$ piece of junk. I spent all day re-building and cleaning the carbs and still only 2 or three cylinders.
              What a collosal waste of time and money this stupid thing has been.
              hang on capn. $2500? omg. you're gonna need to sit back, relax and figure this one out. that's way too much to take a loss on.

first - it ran ok when you bought it so we know the basics are there. ya just need to narrow it down. have you looked through basscliff's site? http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

learn about reading the plugs. i can't tell you how much that helps. also, checking compression can tell you alot like whether or not you need valve adjustments or more serious engine work. also check out bob barr's o-ring kit. http://www.cycleorings.com/ (i also soaked each carb for at least 24 hours)

i've returned several old gs's to the road so i know you can do it. good luck.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
              https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                you have to look into all of those things and maybe more. sometimes it's hard to rule out any one symptom. here's a list of things that i've had happen that caused running on less than four cylinders:

- gunk from gas tank stopped up a carb.
                - bad plug.
                - bad spark. (bad wire, wet wire, bad coil, bad points or ignitor problem)
                - intake air leaks.
                - carb flooding out.
                - combination of above and other unknowns.

a complete carb dip and cleaning will at least lower the percentage of bad carb possibilities. i use inline filters on all my bikes too.

read your plugs, check compression, check spark.
                Capnjim,reread this good advice -you must be methodical and rule things out one by one. carbs need thorough cleaning. 34 yearold petcocks are tempting fate
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The carbs are spotless. I changed the O-rings even though the old ones were nice and supple. I can at least rule out the carbs.
                  I'll dig into the spark once I get my wind back.
                  I think it has to be something faulty in the ignition. It was literally one day running perfect, the next day running like crap. Something failed overnight.

Comment

When you say the carbs are spotless, are you just referring to the parts you can see or did you properly dip them for about 24 hours each to get rid of the junk in the passages you CANNOT see?

I say this because it's very easy to forget about them. I had to tear mine back down after letting them sit all winter after not properly winterizing them; bowl area looked fantastic but I know there was gunk inside the passages.

I know you have put a lot of time and money into this thing and it's frustrating. Trust me I sympathize as I've been there. Your best bet though is to just start over from scratch as though you just got this bike. Go at each of the recommended maintenance items AGAIN and help yourself rule out anything you might have missed. It will probably be something really simple but you won't know for sure without doing that.

Most of the maintenance recommendations don't cost a lot of money especially if you are just reviewing them. You don't need new orings but get some carb dip do them properly. Inspect all your wiring and ensure you have the right voltages where you need them.
                    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The carbs are spotless. I stripped them right down and cleaned every passageway. I didn't dip them as they were pretty much perfect when I took them apart. I mean, they look like new inside and I still sprayed the crap out of them. There was no gunk, residue, or even a tiny speck of dirt. Plus, when I put them back on, the bike was running exactly the same as before I took them apart.
                      I'm 100% sure the carbs are good.
                      I'll be moving on to the ignition next. I think the ignition is the only thing that can work perfectly one day, and not the next.
                      Anyways..I'm sorry to have started two threads on this bike. I think this one is done. I have to think the carbs are good or I am gonna go crazy!!
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X