78 GS1000 petcock info/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    So I take it you swapped out the backs and the internals, but kept the front part and tubes?

How well does it work?
    I don't believe he has used it. It's for Penelope.
    A '80 GS1000G petcock from Boulevard Suzuki is $80 and change. Still alot to pay for the internals.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The body is correct for my 78 GS1000, but the filter appears to be from a later G model of some sorts. It holds back fuel okay, but as far as seeing at what amount of fuel left in the tank before it will need to be switched onto reserve compared to the original one? I can't. The fuel tank is necked...

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        The body is correct for my 78 GS1000, but the filter appears to be from a later G model of some sorts. It holds back fuel okay, but as far as seeing at what amount of fuel left in the tank before it will need to be switched onto reserve compared to the original one? I can't. The fuel tank is necked...

I've got a 1000E tank that looks about like that. Used M.E.K. to dissolve the old Kreem job in it, then some stripper to remove the rattle can paint job that was on top of the professional repaint that was on top of the bondo (good job, had no idea it was there until..) that was on top of the original paint (was a black '79 tank at one time).

Eventually I'll fix it up to stock paint and decals, get a '79 tailpiece painted to match, then wither sell them here or use them for a "non-skunk" change of pace on the '78.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

You guys are awesome. Judging from the picks I at least have the correct one on my bike (E not G) . Unfortunately I have not been able to mess with it. My wife went into labor on Tuesday (6/19) and on 6/20 gave birth to Chloe our beautiful baby girl. First child I might add. I will take the info and hopefully at least have tome to take it off and clean it since I'm taking several days off. The PO said he rebuilt it if that's true the parts should be in good shape still and i can clean it out. I'll get back to you later. Thanks again for all the info.

Comment

Congratulations! Now you really have your hands full.

In the meantime, I'd just soak your petcock in gasoline and clean it thorougly, blow it out and see if it leaks before you tear it down, dirt, especially that little breather hole getting clogged creates allot of the problems.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

Dale,
              My '79 petcock has that single tier filter, the '78 had the two tier filter,
              The single tier filter works well, I was initially concerned that I wouldn't be able to use up all the fuel in the tank should I get low, but since it's never been a problem I just don't care.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Ok, so I took it off and soaked it in gas for 18 hours or so taking it out and trying to blow it out 4 or 5 times. No change. The vacuum works fine on on and reserve but it still won't stop dripping when its not running. I could buy a rebuild kit and try that. Z1 offers 2 replacements with the same bolt hole distance (44mm, measured it while it was off) but the site says neither of them will fit my bike. I don't understand why. A vacuum petcock is a vacuum petcock right. I mean it controls gas, this isn't rocket science. What makes a '78 model so unique that no other model will work. Can I not just switch it over to a gravity feed and be done? I played with it off the bike for several minutes and from what I gather its just open or close (with my original thought being it actually controlled how much fuel as to supply 4 carbs) oh yeah and i did figure out it is the check valve not working correctly. If i blow real hard on the hose it will shut off but when i release pressure it runs again. Is there a way to fix the valve and make itwork properly? The kit comes with O rings and diaphragm. What do I do now?

Comment

Pit, on some bikes, the airbox gets in the way of the fuel and/or vacuum port.
                  It also depends on the location of the valve on the tank.
                  Look carefully as to which type that you can use on yours.

Eric

Comment

I have k&n pods. That's also an issue. The gas coming from the overflowing carbs takes the oil off my filters and they don't work right.

Comment

Been looking around for upgrade options and i believe my best bet is going to be a pingel with an adapter plate. At just over $100 its twice what I was hoping to spend but its still way cheaper than the stock model for 260. But I wanted to ask about it on here before placing the order. Make sure Boone has had any bad experience with pingel, or if there's something I should look out for.

Comment

44 mm centerline spacing is what I got (see link below); both outlets face towards rear (as in pic). hangs down 1.7 inches from tank bottom on back vac portion. Maybe it would work , but I don't know. The reserve pickup "spot" is likely different

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X