Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to use to clean sand out of a tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to use to clean sand out of a tank?

I have been working on my gas tank recently and when the shop I am using to powdercoat the tank blasted it some sand (garnet I guess) got into the tank. I can hear it when I shake the tank - a bit like a maraca. There's not a lot in there and I may try to just vacuum it out, but if I need to use a liquid to flush it out what should I use?

I'm reluctant to use water as I don't want any residual water making it to the carbs. I don't need to use sealant as the tank is pretty rust free. How best to remove a little blasting sand? I have tried shaking it out but it really doesn't want to go out the petcock hole. And the fuel filler hole doesn't work because of the lip around the hole.

Thanks!

Pull the sender and petcock and chuck an air nozzle in the openings, directing the stream towards all corners. That should remove most if not all of the sand. Else swish petrol and drain it out through the petcock opening.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Vacuum would be best. You could also wrap the tip of a piece of coat hanger wire with duct tape...sticky side out and use that to trap a lot of it. I don't think I'd get to anal about however as the grit is likely going to be too large to pas through the p'cock filter. If it does worry you, you can always add an inline filter between the tank and carb.

Good luck.
      spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        Vacuum would be best. You could also wrap the tip of a piece of coat hanger wire with duct tape...sticky side out and use that to trap a lot of it. I don't think I'd get to anal about however as the grit is likely going to be too large to pas through the p'cock filter. If it does worry you, you can always add an inline filter between the tank and carb.

Good luck.
        spyug
        I second the vacuum suggestion. Get some heater hose and tape it to the vacuum hose.

Comment

Or try this.
          Shop Bulbhead for all of your favorite products! We invite you to browse our wide assortment of products, including our very own inventions such as the Pocket Hose and Atomic Beam.

I've actually been thinking of getting one of these.

Comment

Shop vac taped to the filler neck and shake the heck out of it upside down. Then I would rinse it with some gas and drain that out the petcock hole into some kind of clear jug and see if theres sand in it.... repeat till theres no more sand. At the point the sand is gone, you can filter the gas thru a few layers of old socks and put it back in the can to be used again.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey there are some good ideas here - thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X