Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 month old airbox boots already hard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 month old airbox boots already hard...

ive been having a lean condition down the highway the past few days...i took off my airbox to inspect everything...when boots came out all 4 were hard where they seal ....was suposed to seal.. all the way to the carb...i bought them from z-1 about 8 months ago..

ive put maybe 7-8 thousand miles on this year already..but why in the hell are they hard already..

and im fed up fighting an airbox..i fought it when the boots was new even..im gonna spend the extra money and just run pods...even though it ran good with the stock box

just would like to know for future referance

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    ive been having a lean condition down the highway the past few days...i took off my airbox to inspect everything...when boots came out all 4 were hard where they seal ....was suposed to seal.. all the way to the carb...i bought them from z-1 about 8 months ago..
    Either your bike is running dangerously lean, or something else is wrong. I dunno if the carb boot rubber could harden in such a short amount of time... Are you sure you're not checking at the part near the head which has the aluminum embedded in the rubber boot?

btw do you have an in-line fuel filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
      Either your bike is running dangerously lean, or something else is wrong. I dunno if the carb boot rubber could harden in such a short amount of time... Are you sure you're not checking at the part near the head which has the aluminum embedded in the rubber boot?

btw do you have an in-line fuel filter?
      yep im sure..its the airbox boot...bike shows very very minor lean at everything before 1/4 throttle...after that its normal..never hesitaed or acted up until these last few days...

but we have had very little rain here...hot hot days an some rather chilly nights...maybe that has an effect?

no filter either

Comment

Glad to see this thread - had a similar question, although my airbox boots are closer to 5 years old.

My odometer hasn't worked in years, but I estimate that I put about 10K mostly commuting miles on per year - so call it 50K miles.

8 months would be frustrating, have to admit. Seems too short. Don't want to jack the thread, but was just curious how often folks who ride a lot end up having to replace them under normal conditions.

Comment

Working...
        X