Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve cover vent hole - What to do with it when 4 pods are added?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover vent hole - What to do with it when 4 pods are added?

So what do I do with it?
    Do I plug it?

Thank you.

run a vent pipe to a safe place where it can vent without dumping crap over your rear tire, or run it to a catch tank.
    DO NOT PLUG IT
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

DO NOT plug it. Either route the hose behind the engine and down (ugly IMHO) or put a breather filter on it. You can find K&N style caps in the accessory dept. of your local auto parts. The engine needs to breathe through that opening.

Comment

Exactly. There are several shapes available. Mine is round, that one is tapered. And you don't have that long hose stretching over your carbs.

Comment

There is a filter in the valve cover already. Why add another one?
          Should I remove the original and replace it with an aftermarket?
          Do you guys see smoke/steam coming out of it on your bikes?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Look, you asked us what to do. We told you what to do. While I appreciate an inquiring mind, spend your CPU time on something important.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
              add a short piece of hose from the breather, add a tee, add a aftermarket breather like in the pic another member used on the top of the tee, and continue the other end of the tee with a hose along the backbone of the frame and down beside the battery, some people worry that blowby may actually accumilate some oil and the hose would be near the rear tire, you shouldn't have that kind of blowby unless you have serious engine problems, but you could always add some kind of catch can at the end of the hose if worried about it.

This is the way to do it (period). Smoke/steam okay unless it resembles a locomotive.
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Or if you end up with pesky oil leaks like idid,Drill 1 hole in each and get some pvc plumbing to tie em into one then the main breather hose,cured 99% of the leaks,3-T's and 1 foot of braided pvc line.
                Though my Mill is coming apart this winter and being rebuilt propper and sealed propper to end this problem.
                My idea and work was not well recieved her but that is what i did and it worked.Created a negative pressure for me.

Comment

Come on guys. Don't get upset over a question. Simply ignore it. I wont get vexed.
                  My questions are simple curiosity because I absolutely love the technical aspect. If I was not a computer guy I'b probably be a mechanic.
                  If you don't have the time or the energy( I know because I do the same on computer forums) do not answer. I'll keep searching until I find the answer and probably post back.

To date Koolaid has posted a answer to every single post I made. Thank you sir!

My reasoning was that I saw the valve cover filter. Maybe you guys removed the filter and decided to use an external breather filter. Thing I would probably do if the valve filter was kaput.

Again thank you sir's for your input. With it my bike would just be a beautiful boat anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
                    Come on guys. Don't get upset over a question. Simply ignore it. I wont get vexed.
                    My questions are simple curiosity because I absolutely love the technical aspect. If I was not a computer guy I'b probably be a mechanic.
                    If you don't have the time or the energy( I know because I do the same on computer forums) do not answer. I'll keep searching until I find the answer and probably post back.

To date Koolaid has posted a answer to every single post I made. Thank you sir!

My reasoning was that I saw the valve cover filter. Maybe you guys removed the filter and decided to use an external breather filter. Thing I would probably do if the valve filter was kaput.

Again thank you sir's for your input. With it my bike would just be a beautiful boat anchor.
                    i didn't realise i was invisible!
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      i didn't realise i was invisible!
                      Ah man You to Thank you....

I'm at work and have to type fast.

Ill give more thank you's later on tonight

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
                        There is a filter in the valve cover already. Why add another one?
                        Should I remove the original and replace it with an aftermarket?
                        Do you guys see smoke/steam coming out of it on your bikes?
                        Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Look, you asked us what to do. We told you what to do. While I appreciate an inquiring mind, spend your CPU time on something important.
                        KK missed one....

he really didn't answer your question.....

Comment

OMG! Sound of scurrying around, frantic panting, furious keyboard strikes ...
                          I guess it is time to go for yet another ride today. Or perhaps wash the bike; going on a covered bridge ride (with pics) Sunday.
                          I am not really stalking you; I'm just deep in the middle of the interview process for a fantastic position so I have to keep close to the komputer and the phone.
                          I admire your enthusiasm, trust me.
                          And that is not really a filter, it is a baffle.
                          Hey, Agemax:

Comment

Working...
                          X