Source for float bowl gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for float bowl gaskets

I hoped I had everything I needed so I started tearing into my carbs today. My float bowl gaskets are petrified I need new ones quick. Is there any particular place or brand of gaskets you guys recommend? I was hoping to have this thing back together by the end of the week but this may derail that idea. This is for my 82 GS1100GK.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM.

try your local friendly Suzuki dealer, failing that, Ebay
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Someone will be along shortly to recommend making your own with cereal box cardboard.

I'd recommend ordering up a new set from Z1 Enterprises. You should have them in a few days.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well I won't recommend a cereal box but I will mention you can get gasket paper from all of the major autostores and DYI. For $10 you'll get enough material to make gaskets to the second coming.

Its a simple procedure, use the float bowl or the old gasket to trace the outline and cut it out. You can make them reusable by rubbing in a coat of axle grease on both sides.

A little more work than ready mades but if done with care will work as well as those at $2 or 3 a piece and no waiting for delivery.

Good luck with the project.

Spyug

Comment

Diaphragm patch?

I think I hit another snag. The number 4 carb has what looks like a small patch on the diaphragm. Whether it seals a leak or not I would not view this as a good thing. I would think it would alter the action of the slide. What do you guys think? Related or not, number 4 pipe was not getting hot when running so it wasn't contributing anything.

Comment

If your old gaskets are not torn or cracked, you can soak them in Marvel Mystery Oil for a day and they will be like new.
            That will get you through this season of riding.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

If the rubber diaphragm is torn that could be a problem

Comment

Try SIRIUS CONSOLIDATED first...dont know about your bike, but i get GS 750 and GS 1000 gaskets ( A PACK OF 4 ) for 9 bucks plus shipping. Sorry to say, but Z1 cant touch that price for just 1
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

+2 for Sirius Con.
                  I have nothing but good things to say about my dealings with them.

www.siriusconinc.com

Comment

For any Carb part you can also try carbsnmore.com. don't waste your time looking for what you need, just call the guy. He has lots of new and used parts.
                    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Dang- 9 bucks is a deal!

Comment

After disassembling all 4 carbs there were various items that were missing or needed replacing so I purchased a rack of carbs off Ebay for parts. Heck, they may be better than what I have now. It can't hurt to have spares anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Someone will be along shortly to recommend making your own with cereal box cardboard.
                          And just what is wrong with that method? A cereal box got me home from Wisconsin one year. I had to O/haul a single BBL carb on an old Buick that was flooding and it was readily available. A little x-acto knife and I was sportin'
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            And just what is wrong with that method? A cereal box got me home from Wisconsin one year. I had to O/haul a single BBL carb on an old Buick that was flooding and it was readily available. A little x-acto knife and I was sportin'
                            Ain't nothing wrong with a little ingenuity. I knew a guy that got himself home when his fuel pump went out on his Plymouth Duster by filling the windshield washer reservoir with gas and pushing the mechanical pump pedal to supply the carb with gas. Remember those mechanical windshield washer pumps on those? That was a MacGyver moment if there ever was one.

Comment

I've made lots of gaskets. What's wrong with that?

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X