air and fuel mixture screws - 79 1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air and fuel mixture screws - 79 1000E

Hello again! Just curious if any of you can enlighten me on the air and fuel mixture screws. After reading BassCliffs carb tutorial, it states there is no factory setting for these. My carbs have the indents next to these screws (both air and fuel). However I couldn't go by where they were set before teardown because the PO had each one set different. They are all currently set at 3/4 of a turn out (and thats what BassCliff said for stock exhaust and airbox).

I don't have the stock exhaust or airbox. I'm more interested in getting the fuel screws set first. After that I can adjust the airs per RPM increase method.

If it helps any, 112.5 mains. Needle in the 4th groove from top, 15 pilots. Currently no air filters but plans are pods. (let the heckling begin!)

Any recommendations on a start point on how many turns out for the fuels?

badfish said......"I don't have the stock exhaust or airbox. I'm more interested in getting the fuel screws set first. "

What do you have??????
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

He said he "plans on pods", but we will need to know if he plans for the cheap ones or the good ones.

We also need to know if he will be running the exhaust straight out the ports , putting on some short header pipes ,
      installing a 4-into-1 header with no muffler , a 4-into-1 header with a race "muffler"
      or a 4-into-1 header with a muffler that actually sounds good.

Yes, badfish, all of this information is necessary to give you an educated guess what might work for your bike.
      Reading your spark plugs will be the ultimate authority, we can only suggest a starting point.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

each one will be set differently -- as each cylinder has an individual balance required . so don't get fixated on exact and equal settings.

start 0.5 fuels and 1.0 airs -or was it the other way around?? lol !! no seriously it is a balancing act but you have to have the air screw out a little more so to create the vacuum needed to pull the gas up thru the carb into the venturi -- you can not get good results by setting the airs in tighter than 0.25 to get a super rich setting

probably going to need some #17.5 pilots -- 20s' may work better due to the combination of filter and exhaust. -- but your spark plug color will be your guide.

bump main up to 117.5 or 120 also

set pilot circuit - then the main and needle last -- save yourself some time
        Last edited by trippivot; 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Sorry about the lack of info. Correct, no filters right now. The pipe is some kind of 4-into-1 with a quiet silencer.

Comment

Hi,

The recommended start point for air/fuel screw settings for the VM carbs are about 3/4 - 7/8 turn for the fuel screw and 1.5 - 1.75 turns for the air screw.

You should decide what kind of air filter(s) you are going to use and put them on before you start jetting the carbs.

ANY changes to intake or exhaust requires re-jetting. If you jet for no air filters at all, and then put an air filter on, you will have to re-jet again.

Please forgive my profound glimpse into the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks, it helps. What I got going on is I picked this bike up for cheap.....Like $100 cheap. It was missing the battery, airbox, and the starter clutch was torn apart (however all there). I put the starter clutch back together, drained and filled and redrained the oil. Ordered an o-ring set for the carbs and the intake boots. Cleaned carbs and installed new o-rings. I'm currently working without a battery (I'm jumping it off my car, not running) just to see where I stand with how the bike will run. I don't have the cash to toss away at a battery at the moment. I'm trying to spend as little as possible until I know the bike is worthy of sticking more money into it. No sense dumping a bunch of money into it if its not going to be a usable machine.

The bike will idle fine both with the choke on and off but once you give it some throttle it instantly dies. This is with the 4-into-1 exhaust and no filters. Again, I'll go with pods once I can get it to where it runs (for the most part) right.

I do appreciate all the help I can get from you guys.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by badfish View Post

The bike will idle fine both with the choke on and off but once you give it some throttle it instantly dies.
                This is normal behavior for a GS with no air filter. It's running waaay to lean.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

And his main jets are WAY to small.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It needs some restriction..so throw a Tshirt across the carb throats.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks. This points me in the right direction.

Also...the 3-into-1 vacuum tubes coming off the carbs, should that be capped off while I'm using a small test tank?

Comment

Working...
                      X