Carb Rebuild...Easy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild...Easy Question

I have a 1983 GS 1100G. I know that on this site for carb rebuild kits just an o-ring set from a certain website is recommended. I can't find the thread for where it is listed. Also having trouble finding float bowl gaskets and floats from another website besides SUZUKI. Not looking to pay OEM prices. This is my only mode of transportation right now. My car broke down and needs $1500+ in repairs. On a slight tangent I have fuel leaking not from any fuel lines but in to my AIR BOX which I assume is a stuck float causing it to leak in to it.

Thank you in advance.

Go to www.cycleorings.com as Robert Barr is a member here as well. Also get gaskets from any Suzuki site or www.z1enterprises.com as they aren't that expensive.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you very much. Any leads on the floats themselves I suspect one is sunk and not floating that's why I have fuel leaking into my air box.

Comment

Clean things properly first per the tutorial on Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) then worry about the float.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Excellent advice. Will do this tomorrow with daylight. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by themizario View Post
            Excellent advice. Will do this tomorrow with daylight. Thank you very much.
            Tomorrow, the next day, the next day and maybe longer if you are going to properly dip your carbs.
            Full disassembly and proper dipping is the only way to assure the job is done right . This way if you have future starting/idling/ running issues you can eliminate the carbs as suspect...or at least are sure of their condition and function and look to other things.....airbox boots, intake boots, petcock etc......

Comment

I imagine it will take me some time. Ordered the o-ring's from Roberts website and the float bowl gaskets. Will wait on the float itself as per the advice. When I put them in a pot an boil them is there any solution I add to the water or after to keep them from looking dried up?

Comment

I imagine it will take me some time. Ordered the o-ring's from Roberts website and the float bowl gaskets. Will wait on the float itself as per the advice. When I put them in a pot an boil them is there any solution I add to the water or after to keep them from looking dried up?
                I have never heard of this before, why are you boiling them?

And, to eliminate any confusion, just what "them" are you wanting to boil in a pot?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Use Berryman's works great!

It can be found at Walmart for about $18-20 or more at an auto-parts store. I'm assuming you are in the US -- Hint Hint -- add your location and Bike to your profile.

-Dave
                  82 GS1100E
                  five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
                  Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Steve

I guess it must be a UK thing. I'm in the US. I've been following this chaps GS1100 restoration project and he boiled his carbs. Check out the link. Seriously boiled them. http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.com/201...rb-bodies.html

Is this guy nuts or am I missing something too it?

PS Sorry again for no inline reply. New to the forum as you can tell.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

5azzmonkey

What exactly do I dip in it? Can I dip screws, jets, lids, and float bowls to name a few? Is this very much different from the UK chap boiling his carbs?
                      The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

I know my wife would rather the chemical bucket then using one of her high end pots.

PS Sorry for not doing inline reply.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Update

Thank you cowboy3371 for the leads. Got my o-ring kit from RB and float gaskets from z1enterprizes. Thank you RB for helping with the ordering. If you stumble upon this thread. Thank you Steve and 5azzmonkey as well, still need to know to "hard boil" these carbs or "chem-dip" them.

Comment

I just finished dipping my carbs with Berrymans. Took about 4 days total for two carbs. Completely disassembled them and then carb bodies one at a time and then all jets, and other assorted metal parts. each dip lasted for 24 hours. I am now in the process of putting everything back together but have stalled while waiting for new float needles. Want to make sure everything is perfect to rule out carb problems down the road. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. O-rings from Robert Barr are awesome.

Purchased a gallon of Berrymans carb dip with a basket for 18 and some change at the local Wal Mart.

Comment

PS Sorry again for no inline reply. New to the forum as you can tell.
                            PS Sorry for not doing inline reply.
                            What is this "inline reply" you keep referring to?

I can't see that you are doing anything wrong.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              What is this "inline reply" you keep referring to?

I can't see that you are doing anything wrong.

I guess I meant the quoted text. Got it now!

Comment

Working...
                              X