Got new intake boot o rings for my hanging idle...did not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got new intake boot o rings for my hanging idle...did not work

So as you can all tell from my thread title I got new intake boot o rings because everybody said that this would fix my hanging idle. Everybody from GSR that is. So any of you guys have any other ideas what might be causing this? intake boots themselves maybe? which if so, where can I get new ones?

i doubt you were told that JUST by replacing the o rings would instantly cure your problem,probably that they could attribute to your problem.
    yes there could be other issues like cracked intake boots,worn or dirty carbs, air leaks from other places etc. you have to go through all these possibilities until you eliminate the problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      i doubt you were told that JUST by replacing the o rings would instantly cure your problem,probably that they could attribute to your problem.
      yes there could be other issues like cracked intake boots,worn or dirty carbs, air leaks from other places etc. you have to go through all these possibilities until you eliminate the problem
      What he ^^^^ said.

Comment

The intake boots get dry and hard, and small cracks can develop that are not noticeable. However, they can and will expand when they get hot, possibly contributing to a lean condition.

Replacements are not inexpensive, ranging from $20-35 each, but can be sourced new if need be.

What else are you running on your bike? Pods/airbox...with or without filter?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by alex82gs650g View Post
          So as you can all tell from my thread title I got new intake boot o rings because everybody said that this would fix my hanging idle. Everybody from GSR that is.
          I didn't see where everyone told you this would fix your hanging idle??? I did see where some posted it was the #1 cause of a hanging idle but that certainly doesn't mean it is the only cause of it. For example, what's up with the goofy foam wrapped around your air box? I don't ever recall something like that ever coming directly from the factory...
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Extracting carbs from boots to change o-rings at head likely disturbed things- maybe minute cracks or impossible to tighten clamps, etc.
            You can get a set of 4 new boots from Z1 for about $120

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I suppose you could coat your existing boots with some goop and see if the hanging idle disappeared, but this is a short term solution.
            You're sure your throttle cable isn't sticking/hanging randomly???
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sealing the airbox MAY help

Comment

Originally posted by alex82gs650g View Post
                Everybody from GSR that is.
                erm.... no not everybody

Comment

Hi,

ALL of the maintenance must be PROPERLY performed in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. CLICK HERE for the mandatory lists and see my website for step-by-step "how to" guides.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hanging idle,
                    Been there, done that.
                    Rebuilt carbs, new carb and airbox boots, the lid on my air cleaner cover was screened, aftermarket but it allowed more air than it should've. Lined
                    the new solid cover with foam insulation to really seal it. Air box to air cleaner
                    rubber (snorkel loose), bottom drain hose was missing off my air box, replaced with new hose that had the stock plug, breather hose to air box disconnected. So, I corrected all those things and I still had the hanging idle, so I adjusted my air screws to make it richer and that cured it, finally.
                    Needless to say, there's alot of stuff that can cause it, air leaks and lean mixture are the two I know about.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I am going with lean carbs...turn the screws at the back top of the carbs out another full turn. Also be sure the rubber seals for the carb diaphrams are seated properly.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        I am going with lean carbs...turn the screws at the back top of the carbs out another full turn. Also be sure the rubber seals for the carb diaphrams are seated properly.
                        That would be my guess also. Easy to correct that one.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

What do you mean by 'hanging idle'? I've seen that term meaning any number of maladies.

Bike starts OK, warms up & idles more or less normally. Then, as the engine reaches operating temps, idle speed climbs for no apparent reason. Eventually it's "idling" at 5 grand, no matter what you do with the throttle or choke or anything else. You're reaching frantically under your carbs, feeling around for the idle adjuster. Motorists think you're playing with yourself. You finally get home and check the throttle linkage. All looks OK. Why does it do this?

Well, one flaw that WILL cause this is an out-of-sync carb bank. I have personally experienced this with my '82 GS850. Who near you has a Carb-Tune? That's where I'd start, after examining the linkage -- especially now that you've R/R the intake O-rings.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                            What do you mean by 'hanging idle'? I've seen that term meaning any number of maladies.

Bike starts OK, warms up & idles more or less normally. Then, as the engine reaches operating temps, idle speed climbs for no apparent reason. Eventually it's "idling" at 5 grand, no matter what you do with the throttle or choke or anything else. You're reaching frantically under your carbs, feeling around for the idle adjuster. Motorists think you're playing with yourself. You finally get home and check the throttle linkage. All looks OK. Why does it do this?

Well, one flaw that WILL cause this is an out-of-sync carb bank. I have personally experienced this with my '82 GS850. Who near you has a Carb-Tune? That's where I'd start, after examining the linkage -- especially now that you've R/R the intake O-rings.
                            Hanging Idle, it's the tendancy, or reluctance for the engine to get back down to a normal idle speed when you completely back off the throttle, tends to rev higher than it should or stay there longer after you rev it and back off the throttle. Or, I'll try it this way, when you rev it and back off the throttle it "hangs" on at a higher RPM indefinitely. Eventually it may work back down to the true idle speed, until you rev it again.
                            Usually caused by a lean mixture or air leak.
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Hanging Idle SUCCESS! I am a new Suzuki GS11000G owner and I'm finding myself fixing many things the PO 'failed to mention'. Wondered why the bike was hot when I arrived to look at it.. ha!
                              Anyway, reading up on the hanging idle posts put me in the area of lean/air leak. My bike was hanging when warm and/or hot, solved by replacing the intake boots & orings. Idle is fine now!!
                              If I may add a couple of hints to the troubleshooting.. suspect intake boots/orings when bike hangs when warm or hot. Rather than carb tuning specifically. Heating up the intake boots causes the leak, which means it is VERY SLIGHT. I personally, tried the cheapest route first- Orings alone, at which point moved on to the more expensive parts.
                              A quick shout out to Z1; first time customer and they are very good. Always knew where my Back-Order was, in stock arrived in two days!

Comment

Working...
                              X