Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel mixture questions

Carburetor gurus, I have questions!

1980 CV carbs. All rebuilt as of a few months ago per the tutorials and advice here. The bike is almost running right, but still isn't quite perfect. Unless my tach is off, it doesn't like to idle much below 1500 without stalling. Judging from the spark plugs, I'm guessing that cylinders 1 and 2 are running rich, 3 is about right, and 4 is lean. This is leisurely riding around the neighborhood at relatively low RPMs (5k max).

Now my questions:

1. Which way do I turn the mixture screws to make the mixture leaner or richer? (I presume counterclockwise for richer, clockwise for leaner but am not 100% sure?)

2. What would be the factory setting for these? (I have a stock bike, so those settings should "just work", no?)

3. Do the mixture screws apply through all engine speeds or just around idle?

4. Is it permissible to have the four screws set at different amounts or would doing so indicate an imblance elsewhere, such as the float levels?

5. The head of one of my mixture screws is stripped and does not move easily. I fear that I'm eventually going to strip it completely. Z1 sells aftermarket screws, are these reasonable quality?

Thank you!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Originally posted by eil View Post

1980 CV carbs. All rebuilt as of a few months ago per the tutorials and advice here. The bike is almost running right, but still isn't quite perfect. Unless my tach is off, it doesn't like to idle much below 1500 without stalling. Judging from the spark plugs, I'm guessing that cylinders 1 and 2 are running rich, 3 is about right, and 4 is lean. This is leisurely riding around the neighborhood at relatively low RPMs (5k max).

Now my questions:

1. Which way do I turn the mixture screws to make the mixture leaner or richer? (I presume counterclockwise for richer, clockwise for leaner but am not 100% sure?)

2. What would be the factory setting for these? (I have a stock bike, so those settings should "just work", no?)

4. Is it permissible to have the four screws set at different amounts or would doing so indicate an imblance elsewhere, such as the float levels?

5. The head of one of my mixture screws is stripped and does not move easily. I fear that I'm eventually going to strip it completely. Z1 sells aftermarket screws, are these reasonable quality?

Thank you!
    1) Out is richer (CCW)

2) Not a clue. Thinking 1-1/4~1-1/2 turns as a starting point

3) From idle to about 1/4 throttle.

4) Permissible as long a one isn't set at 1/2 turn and the others at 2 turns which would tend to indicate a problem.

5) I have spares

Adjust your valves, make sure there are no vacuum leaks, the air box is properly sealed and the float level are correct before you syncronize the carbs and set the idle fuel mixture screws.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'll take a stabb

Carburetor gurus, I have questions!

Now my questions:

Yes

Usually 2 1/2 turns; It should be listed in the manual.

They are always there but there is so much more gas coming from the needle and mains at other throttle setting to make mixture screws only effective at idle with throttle shut.

4. Is it permissible to have the four screws set at different amounts or would doing so indicate an imbalance elsewhere, such as the float levels?

There is always some imbalance but should not be more than about 1/2 a turn. Anything could create this including low compression I would suspect. More of a drivability issue i would assume. Make it idle the best what ever it needs.

No idea, Post in parts wanted I'm sure someone will sen you an OEM one used.

Thank you!

Some reading on the subject

Last edited by posplayr; 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Dang you guys are awesome. And so quick!

rustybronco: Valves are already adjusted. I don't think I have any air leaks, but I have it on my agenda to double-check that with the propane test. Float level should be good, but if I continue to have issues getting the mixture right, I'll pull the carbs and double-check.

posplayr: Far as I can tell, the factory settings for the mixture screws aren't in the manual because Suzuki didn't consider them a serviceable part. (The whole EPA regulations thing.)

I'll probably do some testing/adjusting over the weekend and report back.

Thanks guys!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

posplayr: Far as I can tell, the factory settings for the mixture screws aren't in the manual because Suzuki didn't consider them a serviceable part. (The whole EPA regulations thing.)
          They came pre-adjusted with a plug over them.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Start at 2 turns out, you will prolly end up around 1-, 3/4 turns out.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Click on the STICKY at the very top and see what others have posted for the bike. But a general rule ofmthumb..as a start point..is 2 to 2 1/2 out. Be well sure there arent any broken tips in there too.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Basscliff lists a bunch of setting in his website, and they do have a pretty big range. 2.5 turns just happens to be for an Canadian 83 GS1100ED

Pilot Screw = Preset (actually, these can be adjusted - start with about 2 turns out from lightly seated)
                Last edited by posplayr; 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Idle Mixture Adjust Methods

(by Mr. koolaid_kid,Mr. tkent02, Mr. psyguy)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey BassCliff, I appreciate the link. I posed the questions above after reading everything I could find about these carbs on your site (including the adjustment procedures) and was just searching for a deeper understanding of a few key points. Thanks!
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Hi,

Hey BassCliff, I appreciate the link. I posed the questions above after reading everything I could find about these carbs on your site (including the adjustment procedures) and was just searching for a deeper understanding of a few key points. Thanks!
                      Which key points? Have you read this?

Mikuni BS32SS Carb Manual

This particular document is GS850-specific as far and specs and jetting, but the principles are the same for all the CV carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X