Rubber Airbox gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Airbox gasket

The rubber gasket on the left side of my airbox it shot. Presently I have weather striped it, but I don't think that is doing the job because my idle is hanging sometimes and I can't seem to get my idle adjusted correctly. It is around 1800 rpms at one stop light and at the next it drops below 900 rpms and dies. I've checked the cable etc, so I'm thinking inconsistent or too much air. Runs fine other than this idle problem. Anyone know where to pick a rubber gasket? I've seached ebay but couldn't find one. Anyone fabricate something that works?

Scudder

Contact the seller and see if the seals in this one are still intact or post in the parts wanted section asking for one.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

While I have not made a gasket specifically for an airbox, I have fabricated a soft gasket for sealing my removable boat windsheild to the hull. It would work in any situation where surfaces weren't getting really hot.

Get wax paper or foodwrap and lay some down on your countertop or somewhere flat. Aquire a tube of clear silicone and squeeze it out liberally on the paper in the basic shape of the gasket that you'd like to see in its finished form. Put some more Paper/ foodwrap on top. Roll it out to about 3/8" thick... or whatever you prefer, and let it set up. Peel away the paper and cut it with a small exacto knife and away you go.

Comment

No idea what bike you're talking about (hint), but lots of us are running around with airboxes sealed with self-stick foam weatherstripping from the hardware store.

Mine is at least five years old and still works fine.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Oops. 1980 gs850. I've sealed it with weather stripping, but I'm thinkin' the rubber that covers the upper chamber of the air box might need to be in place to help prevent too much air flow. Thinkin' about trying to rig something up tonight if I can't find one.

scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
            Oops. 1980 gs850. I've sealed it with weather stripping, but I'm thinkin' the rubber that covers the upper chamber of the air box might need to be in place to help prevent too much air flow. Thinkin' about trying to rig something up tonight if I can't find one.

scudder
            All you need is weather stripping. Really. My GS850 runs perfectly.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

If all of the rubber is gone from the upper halves of the ends of the airbox then you can probably use more weather stripping around all the edges to seal it against the cover. Have a look at these PDF files...

Airbox Sealing

Air Intake Repair:
              Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Airbox doesn't have crap to do with your hanging idle, you could throw it in the trash and it wouldn't do what your experiencing, you have an air leak between the engine and the carbs, cracked intakes or bad o-rings mating the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                  Airbox doesn't have crap to do with your hanging idle, you could throw it in the trash and it wouldn't do what your experiencing, you have an air leak between the engine and the carbs, cracked intakes or bad o-rings mating the surface.
                  Very true.

You gotta make sure EVERYTHING that's supposed to be airtight is actually airtight.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Alrighty. I have new boots and orings, but perhaps the mating of the two needs adjustment. Thanks.

scudder

Comment

Make sure the clamps aren't worn, for no more than they cost, I'd replace them at the same time, they tend to stretch and not give a good seal as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X