Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY carburetor synchronizer tool (manometer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY carburetor synchronizer tool (manometer)

So I have found some threads elsewhere pertaining to this. I cant believe the trouble I am having trying to find a local tool place that sells a gauge kit.

So I thought this can't be expensive to make so I googled and this is what I have found

A lot of info missing. Do we have a write up on this? Has anybody here made a DIY manometer before?

For about $100 you can purchase a new morgan carbtune. If that is too much, check ebay for a used motion pro mercury manometer. I think I paid about $40 for mine used. Another thought would be to get together with a buddy that has one.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
      So I have found some threads elsewhere pertaining to this. I cant believe the trouble I am having trying to find a local tool place that sells a gauge kit.

So I thought this can't be expensive to make so I googled and this is what I have found

A lot of info missing. Do we have a write up on this? Has anybody here made a DIY manometer before?

yep, email sent

Comment

Invest a small amount of cash in these and in 10 minutes your carbs will be perfect-

The absolute easiest and best way to synch- not to mention most accurate.
        My two cents.

Comment

I have a set of well used mercury vacuum sticks I can sell if you want them.

Just started using the Morgan, it works so well I won't be needing these anymore.....
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are several reports of those who have made them, and claim that they did it rather cheaply.

Click HERE to see one thread from July last year, which includes my challenge.

Click HERE to see the follow-up.

Still have not seen the results from that escapade.

Others that have tried it and posted results have shown a "simple" tool that was about 10 feet tall, draped over beams in the barn or something like that. I don't have that much room, nor do I have the patience to try to re-engineer something that is readily available, even if it does cost about $100.

To save yourself all the effort and aggravation, just stop over tonight after 5, if it's not raining.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Might be "easiest and best way" (although I have my reservations about those claims), but certainly not the cheapest.

To buy those two items will set you back $148.

A new Carbtune (including a carrying case) is only 74 GBP (British Pounds), which, at today's rate is $96.68.

Personally, I will keep using my mercury sticks until they die (or kill me in the process), then get a Carbtune.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Might be "easiest and best way" (although I have my reservations about those claims), but certainly not the cheapest.

To buy those two items will set you back $148.

A new Carbtune (including a carrying case) is only 74 GBP (British Pounds), which, at today's rate is $96.68.

Personally, I will keep using my mercury sticks until they die (or kill me in the process), then get a Carbtune.

How many times can you drop that carbtune?
                One time purchase with a two year warranty- Old heads love paradigms.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                  How many times can you drop that carbtune?
                  One time purchase with a two year warranty- Old heads love paradigms.
                  You can drop it as many times as you should drop any quality tool.

The Carbtune is also a one time purchase and has a one-year warranty.

Not sure what to make of your last statement, but I will be happy to take your twenty cents (pair o'dimes).

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

You can drop it as many times as you should drop any quality tool.

The Carbtune is also a one time purchase and has a one-year warranty.

Not sure what to make of your last statement, but I will be happy to take your twenty cents (pair o'dimes).

Well I'm sure no one intends to drop a calibrated instrument- but things do happen. It means- "old dogs"(Seasoned Veterans) hate new tricks
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                      Well I'm sure no one intends to drop a calibrated instrument- but things do happen. It means- "old dogs"(Seasoned Veterans) hate new tricks
                      I've yet to see a sensitive electronic measuring instrument that can be dropped without damage, so the whole "dropping" issue ia lame

My buddy has one and it's no more accurate than my Morgan

The accuracy in syncing comes from the tuner's ability with the wrench
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

To the OP, this is the best suggestion yet

To save yourself all the effort and aggravation, just stop over tonight after 5, if it's not raining.

Comment

If you do decide to buy something pick up a Carbtune, it's totally worth it and will last a lifetime. Plus the pound is almost the same as the US dollar right now so it's cheaper then it has been, it cost me another ~$25 when I got mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            I've yet to see a sensitive electronic measuring instrument that can be dropped without damage, so the whole "dropping" issue ia lame

My buddy has one and it's no more accurate than my Morgan

The accuracy in syncing comes from the tuner's ability with the wrench
                            Negative- Use that same logic and points are better than solid state.

Then you must not need gauges at all- Ridiculous-
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

There are several reports of those who have made them, and claim that they did it rather cheaply.
                              Would you take Chuck Hahn's word on whether or not it works?
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X