GS1000 fuel level gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 fuel level gauge

Attached is a picture of the fuel level gauge from my GS1000. I've started cleaning it off as the tank had a poorly applied liner. Seemed to function fine when I last rode the bike. Any comments on this sheathing that is pealing off the wire?

Should I replace it? With what?

Is that sheathing to cushion the wire only? I can't imagine it was to fully "gas proof" the wire as it seems to be only a short section around where the wire enters the box.

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
    Attached is a picture of the fuel level gauge from my GS1000. I've started cleaning it off as the tank had a poorly applied liner. Seemed to function fine when I last rode the bike. Any comments on this sheathing that is pealing off the wire?

Should I replace it? With what?

Is that sheathing to cushion the wire only? I can't imagine it was to fully "gas proof" the wire as it seems to be only a short section around where the wire enters the box.
    I think you pretty much said what it was about, poorly applier liner. I don't remember any sheathing on mine when I took it out, but it's been a couple of years. It appears to be the same color as what's left in the crevices and other areas that wasn't scraped off. It does look like someone did some scraping to the outsides of that sending unit. I think it's residue from the liner material. You probably have to ohms check it to see if you get varying degrees of continuity without any opens, if you do get opens across the range then maybe remove it somehow.

Here's you a manual,

Chapter 11 page 11-16 shows the diagram and check-out of the fuel sending unit. The gauge specifically on page 11-18. Hope this helps.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

If you want to clean it up, I would suggest coating the wire with a fuel resistant epoxy. Mine leaked slightly at the rubber grommet where the wire goes through, so I coated it down to the metal bracket over the grommet and it has remained sealed for several years now. If the insulation is still on the wire, in your case, remove the ratty sleeve and bridge the epoxy from the wire to the bracket so it can't move even if it broke loose from the solder joint, job done. If the wire insulation looks bad, coat the whole thing. Keep in mind that the wire's solder joint was exposed to gas from the factory, so the only point in the insulation is to keep it from grounding to the bracket.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Good info, thanks all. I took the box apart to see inside, guck everywhere. Cleaned it up but still don't get a resistance reading on an ohm meter when I play across the coil inside.
        Of course there is a good chance I'm not checking it correctly. (no electrician).

I'm doing two things, seeing if my parts guy can source a replacement gauge assembly and two, going to show the thing to an electrician in the family but he's not around for two weeks. Best solution is to just get it working but we'll see.

Comment

You need to insulate that wire. A short piece of fuel resistant tubing used on weed wackers will work nicely.

You check the gauges resistance with one lead connected to center post with the nut on it, and the other lead touching the outer round plate. If it's working, your meter should show between 110 and 10 Ohms IIRC.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Checked E-bay? (As a last resort).
            You might have to change/bend the float arm, but then again maybe not.

And...........
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

No luck on the ohm check. Reads zero.
              Thanks for the ebay heads up. I did check ebay but didn't use the right search terms to find what you did.

I put in a bid for the cleaner looking one. Too many nice riding days going by to not give it a try.

Thanks for all the help.

Great forum.

Comment

If it's off of a 78-79 GS1000 don't throw it away. I can use it.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Nothing's getting thrown away... ok maybe the old ratty ripped seat leather.... but even that's got lots of memories.

Comment

Working...
                  X