How to fix that mangled C spring in your petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix that mangled C spring in your petcock

So, you have a vacuum operated petcock with a mangled, twisted bit of metal in the bottom of it.

After about an hour of bending it (it luckily never work-hardened and broke) into a variety of positions, I re-thought the design, and came up with one that works. Here are some photos that should help guide you.

Make sure you bend ONLY the straight part of the ramp(the _ part that deviates from the smooth C_ shape) and not any of the curved circle. Bending behind the transition from linear to curved can make your petcock leak in some positions because it makes the arm that presses on the pin most of the time.

Cheers!

PS If you look at the one in this photo here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=211194, the spring is broken just where the ramp/arm meet, where the C straightens out.

the next step would be to cut that clip from flat stock and bend it to shape.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Even more important that having the proper shape is to have proper orientation.

If you look on the back of the barrel that pushes against it, you will see a ramp.
      THAT is what pushes that center pin toward the plunger in the diaphragm that closes the fuel flow.
      If the spring is not correctly positioned in relation to that ramp, you will either not have a PRIme function or you will have an unintended PRIme function.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Back of the barrel? The plastic cone? On mine, that has no ramp, just a single rectangular tab.

Comment

mine has a rectangular tab as well
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I will have to take one apart here to have a look, but there is some mechanism on the back of the cone/barrel/whatever that pushes on the spring when the petcock is turned to PRIme.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree there's something there, but on mine, I'm sure it's just a plastic tab with a rectangular face.

Comment

Working...
              X