1000 /850 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 /850 carbs

Hi, newbie here, I have embarked on a new project by turning a 1980 gs850 into a café racer, however I have now got hold of a 1000g engine as the 850 now needs work, I have been told that the 1000 will go straight in the frame but I need to ask if the carbs will go on with jet changes and also anything else I need to know for the change, thanks.

Originally posted by intruder1800 View Post
    Hi, newbie here, I have embarked on a new project by turning a 1980 gs850 into a café racer, however I have now got hold of a 1000g engine as the 850 now needs work, I have been told that the 1000 will go straight in the frame but I need to ask if the carbs will go on with jet changes and also anything else I need to know for the change, thanks.
    Before you start cutting and what not, put up a pic of the bike first.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

IIRC, you will need to use the front upper engine mounts from the 1000 and the rear top mount may need a spacer modification. If you use the 850 head, as I did, it will bump the compression ratio up almost one point and increase torque/HP throughout the entire range. I also remember having 1mm larger intake valves made for it but I don't think that is necessary for your build. As for jetting, if the intake and exhaust remain the same as it currently is, will only need a main jet change (120 or 122.5). Either set of cams will work fine. (I would use the 1000 cams) Good luck and post plenty of pictures.

Edit: Use the 1000 head gasket.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

The GS100G's used BS34SS carbs. Your GS850G uses BS32SS (34 Vs 32mm)
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps,
          Putting the 850 head on sounds like a good idea to gain more power out of these old bikes but the 1000 has a power gain over the 850 of about14 bhp, considering the brakes and handling of these 70s machines I conclude that this is more than enough plus a blown gasket is a pain to change so I will leave the compression alone. I didn't realise about the engine mounts so I will have to get 1000s for them. All in all I will put in the motor with minimal changes and see what happens with bigger main jets in, if that's crap then I will have to get some 34mm carbs.
          I put a lot of time and effort into trying to jet a project tracker (1980 xs750 triple) in the end I paid a dyno guy and he had it licked in an hour , well worth the £70 as I was in and out of the carbs many times with frustration, turns out they ended up hugely over where I was, pod filters and power exhausts look great but can be a pain, bike turned out nice tho and sold very quickly.

Comment

Working...
          X