No announcement yet.

Full throttle and not idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just realised its a 450..so two carbs..but you can still do a water test of the floats and needles. I use this as a test because its not gas for 1 thing, and it still checks to see the flow rate and if the needles are shutting off and opening up at the least.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Among everything else suggested ,might want to check the carb bowl vents, and the fuel tank venting, (atmospheric) Crack open the gas cap, not sure where the 450's carb bowl vent tubes are located or how the fuel tank vents, You stated that it was running properly before shimming and since you had the tank off shimming the valves may be poss. that you pinched a vent hose, would have the same effect, (starvation) run a little while, slowly refill, restart then repeat itself.
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Fuel cap is vented via a small tunnel milled into the base metal below the chromed cover. the best way to be sure it is clean is to remove the black plastic cap inside, then the brown kidney bean shaped thing with the big ball bearing comes out...be carefull because theres another smaller BB underneath. Pay attention to the order they go in too.

Once its all apart youll see a hole there..blow some carb spray and compressed air in there to clear the vent passage way.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So I went through all the topics you guys suggested and to no avail. She will start after been sitting and will stay running as long as I keep the throttle at about 3,000 rpms. If I let it idle back down it will stall out and not start again. Like it's getting flooded. I did quite a bit of research on the internet about the mikuni bs34 and found that there should be a rubber plug over the pilot jets. Is this correct because I don't have any rubber plugs in my carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Swim_fan02 View Post
            Anybody wanna chime in? She starts after sitting for a little bit and idles for a minute then stalls out and won't start again. Plugs are both wet but no backfiring when she starts.
            Chiming in.

Sounds like she's flooding out.

Have you taken the carbs apart yet and cleaned them?

So I went through all the topics you guys suggested and to no avail. She will start after been sitting and will stay running as long as I keep the throttle at about 3,000 rpms. If I let it idle back down it will stall out and not start again. Like it's getting flooded.
            Last edited by rustybronco; 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              Chiming in.

Sounds like she's flooding out.

Have you taken the carbs apart yet and cleaned them?
              Yes I did. Multiple times. Lol. Check your inbox rusty.

Comment

I did check it and the reason for my responding.

Your carbs still aren't right in my humble opinion.

You need to make an adapter to use in place of a carb drain screw, then connect a piece of clear tubing up to that adapter and hold it along side the float bowls, while the engine is running so as to be able to check 'wet' fuel level's on each carb.

Comment

It's either rich or lean.

Rich:
                  Do you smell gas in the airbox? Could be a stuck or leaking float.

Lean:
                  Could you have pinched the fuel or vacuum line going to the petcock when you reinstalled the tank?
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm waiting on all brand new o-rings from cycleorings just to rule out anything inside leaking. But as far as the plug goes on the pilot jet. Any insight there. Like I said there was never one in there when I took them apart. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      It's either rich or lean.

Rich:
                      Do you smell gas in the airbox? Could be a stuck or leaking float.

Lean:
                      Could you have pinched the fuel or vacuum line going to the petcock when you reinstalled the tank?
                      I could smell a little gas in the airbox but it wasn't an overwhelming smell and no the vacuum line is not pinched. I've also tried the starting fluid spray check for any leaks. I won't be tinkering wth it today because it decided to snow outside last night and get ridiculously cold out. Don't really feel like turning on the heater.

Comment

But as far as the plug goes on the pilot jet.
                        There isn't supposed to be a plug on the pilot jet. If there was it wouldn't be able to draw fuel. Do you mean over the fuel mixture screw?

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          There isn't supposed to be a plug on the pilot jet. If there was it wouldn't be able to draw fuel. Do you mean over the fuel mixture screw?
                          No. I read somewhere(can't remember exactly where for the life of me) that there was a plug the went on the pilot jets in the float bowl on the mikuni bs34 carbs. May not be relevant to our bikes but I just wanted to make sure.

Comment

No plug on that year/model.
                            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              No plug on that year/model.
                              Thank you. That's what I was looking for

Comment

Working...
                              X