1982 Gs500 L Running Idles But No Throttle Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs500 L Running Idles But No Throttle Response

I just got my GS550 running, cleaned carbs, installed new air intake boot o-rings installed dyna S, cleaned tank.

But now that I am putting it together I am having a hard time with the air intake boots, they keep backing off when I tighten the clamps, is there a trick? I clamped the boots at the head first.

I got fed up with the air box clamps so I decided to see if it would fire, it wouldn't until I closed the idle adjustment completely, any throttle kills it.

Does this make any sense? So it only runs with the throttle completely closed and the choke on, does that mean there is an air leak? I sprayed around the cylinder head boots and nothing happened.

It is almost like there is either no vacuum to pull the fuel mixture in or maybe I'm only running on one cylinder?

Compression is 150psi across the board.

I did bench sync the carbs, they seemed real close.

Is there anything else I could try?

The bike did sit for close to 10 years.

The spark seems to be a bit weak, but not bad, it is blue but not a close to white.

Without the airbox attached, it will operate exactly as you have described.

If you really want to hear it run, fold a shop rag in half, drape it over the carb inlets and use clamps to hold it to the two outer carbs. Make sure it's somewhat taut over the two inner carbs. With this setup, you will have some throttle response and will even be able to take it around the block, if you want, but it will not work for doing any jetting checks or adjustments.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You said you clamped boots at head first. My understanding (but I've yet to do it thankfully) is that to put airbox boots on first, attach cables ,and then wrestle carbs into boots. Read Anthony's post on 750 just below yours.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Read Anthony's post on 750 just below yours.
        That might be true if he happens to read your response and look for Anthony's post ... right NOW.

Much better to paste a link to Anthony's post.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't worry, once you have to uninstall and reinstall your carbs about a dozen times, you'll get the hang of it, we all finally did lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I got the carbs installed correctly, but I am still having the same symptoms. What else could cause it.

When I did have it running i seem to have a oil leak at the head gasket, is this common? The weird thing is, is the oil is yellow in color. It is new oil.

It is a pretty decent oil leak.

How hard is it to replace these head gaskets? DO I have to pull the engine or can I do it in the frame?

Would a head gasket leak cause my throttle issues?

The bike does NOT burn oil from what I can tell from the exhaust.

Comment

Working...
            X