Bike will not idle down!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike will not idle down!!!!

Ok, The bike is a 1981 Suzuki gs1100e. I got the bike over the winter. It had no air box and 3 of the exhaust bolts heads were broken off, and no battery. I have gotten everything fixed and I fired the bike for the first time today. Started right up like a champ, but the idle is staying way too high. I have no tach cable I just found the one on it is broken today when I started it. So I don't know what it is idling at but is very fast. I took the idle adjustment all the way back but didn't make any difference at all. The only thing is I bought air pods instead of a new air box and filter. Could this be what is making it idle so high. I did go through the carbs and cleaned them. Did not mess with sync screws! Just a good cleaning. Any help would be great. It has factory jets in the carbs also.

OH I don't know if the bike came from the factory with dual exhaust, but it has a four to one on it now. I didn't do it. It was on there when I got it.

Comment

adjust the cables they are too tight probably
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but is the choke on?

Comment

Please define "good cleaning" that you did to the carbs.

Chances are, it wasn't enough.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When this happened to me I fixed it by cleaning the carbs, replacing the o-rings in the carbs, sealing up the airbox and replacing the intake boots.

Comment

I thought the same about the throttle cable being too tight so I took it lose from carbs. Still the same problem. I took the carbs all the way down cleaned bowls. Put needles and jets in my small heated parts bath for about three hours. Now I didn't break carbs from the rail and completely rebuild them, But I did a good cleaning of all internal parts. With carb cleaning and air. reassembled not messing synchronizers screws. I was planning on synchronizing them once running. I like the looks of the pods would like too keep them. I move the idle all the way out and took choke and throttle cable off. Bike started right up and the idle is still very high. I even checked to see if a bowl height was high on a carb and nope. everything looks great but it just wants to idle high? Anything you guys can think of that I may be over looking would be great help

Comment

You have an air leak. Might be a cracked intake boot or loose hose clamp. For clarification you really didn't do a complete carb rebuild if you didn't dip and clean the carb bodies and replace ALL the O-rings.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Could be that you are not jetted right, but I would put my money on a full strip and dip to fix your problem.
                  While your in there, you should be jetted to 122.5 or more on main jets and possibly 47 on the pilot jets which is one step up.

Since you have pods and 4/1 exhaust, you will be running lean with the stock jet set up.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Found it One of the vacuum lines had a crack in it. You would think something that small would give you that much trouble, but OK I was given the bike and I knew nothing about other that the guy that had it bought a Vance exhaust. Well he broke three of the exhaust bolts off and I guess he didn't want to fix it. This is why I got it I thought. Well once I got it to idle down there is a horrible rattle coming from the engine. I will not lie I don't know a lot about older bikes. I can't tell what it is. I changed the oil twice to flush all the old oil out. I have heard a lot of these bikes have this problem. It does it more often when the revs are coming down, It doesn't make the noise all the time it comes and goes. I tried pulling the clutch to see if it stops nope it still happens. Any thoughts

Comment

Lean the bike to one side while running and see if the sound goes away. If so it could just be cam walk and harmless. If not then sync the carbs and adjust the valves and see if it goes away. Might as well pull the carbs and do a complete rebuild. Probably need to do that anyway.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Good Idea I am going to go try leaning it from one side to the other now. I really like the way the bike looks and hate for it to be something major. I don't want to get in over my head on this. Although it was free and I have even thought of replacing the motor if I have to loving this bike

Comment

Nope It sounds like it coming from the bottom end of the motor. I leaned the bike from side to side and making the noise. I leaned down and it is a lot louder from under the motor. I am afraid it may be something really bad. In the bottom end like the crank or something worse.

Comment

If the bike hasn't been vacuum synced properly it will sound like hell. One cylinder working harder then the others can act like a mechanical timing problem and will resonate through the bottom end.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will try anything I will sync the carbs as soon as possible. I am loving this bike and I don't want to give up on it. thanks for any help or advice on getting her on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X