1977 GS750: yet another exhaust thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750: yet another exhaust thread!

The headers on the bike are immaculate. Not surprising since it only has 25k km under its wheels. However the mufflers have suffered the ravages of 20 years of storage. They look great.... until you get closer and see the ends rusted out, perforations underneath etc, etc, etc.

Unlike most of the folks hereabouts I am not interested in a noisy motorcycle, being a ghof .

Because the collector from the headers is integral with the muffler it rules out simply replacing the mufflers with something aftermarket, I assume. Since OEM is unobtanium, the next decision is what format to choose. I cannot find an aftermarket 4 into 2 system. If you know of one please let me know.

So the default is going to be 4 into 1, of which there are several out there. But none of the manufacturers seem to be keen on 'fessing up as to how loud the end product will sound. Any input as to a sensible choice for a rider who prefers the stealth option?

And lets not even start to talk about the necessary re-jetting!!

Thanks in advance. Nick

Ask the good folks around here for some audio clips. Also note that many manufacturers make both street and competition baffles, and you can often add more fiberglass to quiet down street baffles.

But she's a big in-line four. Don't you want to hear some music up past 6k rpm?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Personally, I DO want to "hear some music", which is why I have a rather quiet 4-into-1 system on my bike, so I can hear the music playing through the speakers in my helmet.

Nick, recommendations on what to get might depend on where you are. The fact that you are reporting kilometers under the wheels hints that you are not in the USA, so please elaborate. In fact, please update your profile to show a general location.

Yes, I have a 4-into-1 system, but I have no idea who made it. Many here will fault the MAC heders for their poor chrome quality, but I can tell you that the street baffle sounds good in my son's 650. The header was in poor shape when we got the bike about 12 years ago, it has since been ceramic coated and now looks good. With the street baffle installed, it also sounds good.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, that bike is in serious need of cleaning.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Very true, JT. That was when the pipe was just installed. It has since been removed, the engine cleaned and painted, engine and bodywork badges applied, etc., etc.
          Click on the link in my sig to see the finished product.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

It will rev THAT high?????

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Nick, recommendations on what to get might depend on where you are.
              I am in British Columbia. And prepared to search far and wide. The 'easy' option is to get a Vance and Hines system from Canada's Motorcycle: https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/van...ne-system.html and they do have a spec list for appropriate jet re-jetting sizes.

I too have heard that MAC build quality may be questionable. It is possible to get just mufflers, from Marving: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/g...cers_-_chrome/

I am leaning towards a Motad system; no rejetting needed.

All fun and games!
              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X