Won't Start Even With Ether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't Start Even With Ether

Although it's not a GS, you guys have been an invaluable resource for me and I'm sure will have some useful information to help me. Now that I've got you all buttered up nice.......LOL OK. I'm working on a friend's son's dirt bike. Usual stuff, neglected, abused, etc. I've done the carb, it does have spark, haven't done an actual compression check but it does have some. After doing the carb, gave it a few kicks to get things flowing then a quick shot of ether with the expectation of at least a noise, pop, spit...something....but absolutely nothing. In my 40 years of fiddling with engines ether always makes a noise if you have spark. It does have an automatic compression release thingie that I'm looking into.

So there it is, like the title says, won't start even with ether. Suggestions welcomed.........Thanks for you help in advance.

Even though my name thing at the top says "newbie" I'm actually a senior member from the old system. JSYN

Comment

How about the valves? Adjusted correctly? Are you absolutely certain you're getting spark?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
        How about the valves? Adjusted correctly? Are you absolutely certain you're getting spark?
        And at the right time?

Ether and compression you must have teh timing wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Have not checked the valves but is on the docket. It does have spark with the plug grounded to the motor so I'm guessing it has spark while installed. Can't see inside with it in there obviously. LOL Haven't gotten to a compression check or valve clearance check because even if both are poor, ether,(starting fluid), always makes a fire with a spark, no matter what, even if things are all out of whack or whatever. That's what's bothering me, ether always does something. This thing does nothing.

Comment

Hi posplayr. I haven't signed on here since the old system was turned off. Been a while. This is don from the old system.

So, like I said, I haven't gotten into this thing too deep yet. It just threw me off when it didn't do anything with a shot of ether so I figured I'd set some feelers up over here. Basically the bike was running just fine, start on the first 2-3 kicks as usual, and one day it was hard to start then the next it wouldn't start at all. So I started with the carbs, it being a neglected dirt bike, and here I am.

Thanks for the input BTW.
            Don

Comment

posplayr, a bit off topic but, can I change a setting to get the pages in here to go in ascending order in stead of descending? In other words, it's displaying the latest post first, I prefer to have post-1 at the top of the first page like the old forum.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                posplayr, a bit off topic but, can I change a setting to get the pages in here to go in ascending order in stead of descending? In other words, it's displaying the latest post first, I prefer to have post-1 at the top of the first page like the old forum.

Thanks
                Sorry Don, I looked for the settings. My first port is the earliest so the latest is at the bottom. I know it can be changed but not sure where. At top right hand corner is a tab for "Display". It has options for the thread. I did not want to screw mine up testing.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I poked around a little and fiddled with some stuff but nothing. Just thought you may have come across it. You know us old guys, change is evil. LOL I didn't even realize the old forum didn't work until it wouldn't let me reply or post. LOL

Comment

Click on Forum actions on the top menu and then choose general settings; half way down the page is the thread view settings so that you can change it to linear oldest first
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Cowboy! Good to see you again. That's the setting I was looking for. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Does the bike have points? If so, clean and set them using a volt ohm meter for the breaking point.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                          Does the bike have points?
                          Does it have a name ? Honkawsuziyami ? 2 stroke ? Got gas/spark/air/batt ?
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                            Does the bike have points? If so, clean and set them using a volt ohm meter for the breaking point.

V
                            Yeah since it was running and suddenly wasn't , be suspicious of points and especially tbe condenser. Spark might appear ok, but lack enough umph to fire when installed.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What kind of bike is it?? I am shocked this isnt the first thing someone asked as its pretty crucial in its diagnosis.

Comment

Working...
                              X