Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects of E10 and E20 fuel on the GS engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects of E10 and E20 fuel on the GS engines?

So the Norwegian government in their infinit wisdom has stated that during the course of 2018 all regular fuel sold is gonna contain a 10% blend of ethanol as opposed to the 3.5-5% of today. And finally in 2020 it will be a bumped up to 20%.
    So this has caused quite a stir her among mc and classic car people so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this fuel on the gs or similar engines? They say carburetted vehicles are gonna suffer....

I'm guessing there will still be non ethanol fuel available like 98RON but because it isnt sold as much as the 95 and its more expensive alot of gas stations in rural areas have quit selling it, like in my instance I would have to drive an hour just to get 98 fuel....

Where I live the fuel is all 10% Ethanol -
    When I can get regular old gas (some other state ) my MPG goes up
    The bike doesn't mind it otherwise - but it does go through 'phase separation" more soon --
    Breaks down into fuel, water, organic compounds, etc. and can clog jets pretty easily.
    Using fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam helps a lot to prevent this breakdown of fuel components.

When they go to E20 -- all bets are off... our bikes are doomed to be museum pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

When they go to E20 -- all bets are off... our bikes are doomed to be museum pieces.
      That's a bit drastic - the real problem is ethanol will degrade rubbers and seals over time and especially if fuel is being stored. So, winter storage would be best with draining the fuel totally.

Replace your fuel hoses with ethanol resistant ones, and as long as you aren't running a fibreglass tank, you should be OK.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

That...and the fact ethanol attracts moisture and can get water introduced into the fuel systems. One way around that would be to drain the carb bowls if you know the bike is gonna set a while..say 3 weeks or more. Then connect the fuel line from the tank and drain a dose off before refilling the carbs from the tank Any settleed out stuff "should" be at the bottom of the tank and readily be drained off one would think.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Other than it goes off quick all my GS's have only had the 10% ethanol stuff (except for maybe when I went to Nevada). It's all you can get here....

Stabil definitely seems to help.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Other than it goes off quick all my GS's have only had the 10% ethanol stuff (except for maybe when I went to Nevada). It's all you can get here....

Are you putting a bit of Stabil in your tank every time you fill up or only when you know it's going to sit for a while?
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Also applies to lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.

Recently bought a new lawn mower & they recommended using Stabil all of the time.
                Its also easy to figure out how much you need if you add the Stabil to the gas can.

Comment

Comment

I know the ethanol goes bad pretty quick and becomes corrosive. Ive got an ATV with an FCR carburetor that always has issues with the stuff if it sets more than a few weeks. It'll seize the aluminum float needle to the brass seat assembly, and that's using Stabil and Marvel oil. It sometimes takes pliers to remove it. Its also corrosive to the accelerator pump diaphragm on cars and bikes that are so equipped.

Theoretically you should have to use a larger jet and the motor should run slightly cooler, but I doubt you'd notice....well maybe with the E-20, but not the E-10.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Ive noticed that my bike runs better with a shot of Sta Bil in the tank. I dont use it all the time, but occasionally. It also seems to run better when I fill up in Pa, but I cant seem to definitively find if ethanol is used in Pa super unleaded. They were fighting the ethanol mandate I read though.
                      I also found a site called Pure Gas that lists gas stations by state and Canada that sell ethanol free gas.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I looked them up. http://pure-gas.org/

It appears a lot of MurphyUSA stations are ethanol free. Around here, those are the ones outside of WalMarts. I'm going to do more research and see if all of them are. The only two it showed by me are 70 miles and 30 miles away. A little too far to ride to fill up.
                        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          I also found a site called Pure Gas that lists gas stations by state and Canada that sell ethanol free gas.
                          I use that site all the time. I put ethanol free in all of my small engines.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                            I looked them up. http://pure-gas.org/

It appears a lot of MurphyUSA stations are ethanol free. Around here, those are the ones outside of WalMarts. I'm going to do more research and see if all of them are. The only two it showed by me are 70 miles and 30 miles away. A little too far to ride to fill up.
                            Just checked NM nada.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Are you putting a bit of Stabil in your tank every time you fill up or only when you know it's going to sit for a while?
                              These days I ride less... (Kids) and ride the KLR more often when I do go (Henry is now riding short hops with me and can't reach the pegs on the Zuki) so I just stick a squirt in every tank. Despite best intentions it can often sit 3-5 weeks without being ridden!
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X