carb rebuilder, speedo repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuilder, speedo repair?

Hello all. I'm sorta new here, slowly reviving my 82 GS1100E, 29000 mi. Ran good when parked in '91 : ), as they all did. Who is good for carb rebuild to stock specs? Also, who is good for speedometer repair? thanks.

What's wrong with the speedo?

The best person to do the carb rebuild is yourself. Here is the rebuild tutorial that gives you the details: http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OR......if you think another party is better suited, and maybe your not terribly mechanically inclined or simply don't want to undertake it yourself, you can PM chef1366. He rebuilt my 750T's carbs in a few days, and they run perfectly. All i did was remove, ship and re-installl upon return. He'll quote you a reasonable price im sure. Highly recommended.
      PB
      Central Jersey
      82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Also, what exactly is wrong with your speedo?
        PB
        Central Jersey
        82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Yup, chef (Bill) is a good choice. He lives in Santa Barbara too so shipping will be reasonable.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            He lives in Santa Barbara too so shipping will be reasonable.
            Actually, once the goods are in the box, it costs the same amount to ship to oHIo.

Nothing against Chef, he does good work, but I have had no complaints about my carb rebuilds, either.

From the Parts and Services forum : LINK.

As the others have asked, what's wrong with the speedo? Might be able to help with that, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And you also have that carb polishing option with Steve , who as we all know, can make anything shine.
              PB
              Central Jersey
              82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Except the LIQUID 'shine.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I could do the carbs, thought farming out some of the work while I do more tedious tasks might advance things to actually getting the project done. Things like the charging tests. Wouldn't have known that without this forum. Glad I found it.

The main speedo works fine for mph but the odometer is stuck. Not the end of the world. Bikes run fine without any gauges but, hey, why not have it right. If it's a straight forward fix i'll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Lol...I got one of the chocolate cherry 100 proofers when we were in Gatlinburge...wow.....now that's shine....drink too much of those and you'll go matt...

Comment

Originally posted by acmerocket View Post
                      Thanks for the replies. I could do the carbs, thought farming out some of the work while I do more tedious tasks might advance things to actually getting the project done. Things like the charging tests. Wouldn't have known that without this forum. Glad I found it.

The main speedo works fine for mph but the odometer is stuck. Not the end of the world. Bikes run fine without any gauges but, hey, why not have it right. If it's a straight forward fix i'll give it a shot.
                      The problem with the odometer may be some debris stuck within the gears or a gear has a broken tooth. A good cleaning and lubrication may be all it takes or it may need more then that. You wont know until you take it apart. Now that's where the fun begins. You need to remove the speedometer from the outer housing and then remove the top crimp ring that holds the speedometer housing/gauge assembly and front lens together. To do you you need to pry the ring up all the way around using a screw driver. Once the ring is opened up you'll be able to split the assembly apart and see the inner workings. Reassembly will require you to crimp the ring back into place.
                      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-09-2017, 12:47 PM.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

As I recall....those are individual cups for the tach and speedo {and I could be wrong}. You'd have to carefully pry open the speedo assy cup bezel to get into the guts to see what's wrong.....or just go look for a used assy here or elsewhere.
                        Kids and wife are slowing up my internet today or I'd go look at babbitts/suzuki for the parts on your cycle to see what ya got...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He can also paint the bowls interesting colors...
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

You talking about ME???

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X