Adjusted carbs on my gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusted carbs on my gs450

Cylinder 1 spark plug seemed to be running lean and #2 running rich. So last week I tried enriching and leaning the mixture screws a quarter turn each. Seemed to make a difference in power and smoothness ... but the plugs still looked the same after. I just finished adjusting both mixture screws again by rpm increase and wound up with #1 set out 3 turns .... and #2 only 1 1/2 turns out. Engine revs and return to idle speed seemed improved.

I lowered the tank and soon realized I had a split fuel line leak. Fixed that and put the bike back together so I could test the bike up and down the street. The acceleration was good but the revs ABRUPTLY peaked at 6,000 with nothing left. Previously, I had seen rpms to 7,000 without much effort. Any suggestions on what to do? Valves have been adjusted with correct shims.

sp2.jpg
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Did you pull the plugs again after you fixed your fuel line leak? Sounds like you were adjusting while experiencing fuel starvation and so now you might be drastically rich.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
    X