Odd Poltergeist occurance today ?? Looking for input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Poltergeist occurance today ?? Looking for input

Havent taken the bike out since last saturday and the wife and I decided to head through the mountains.

Bike started right up idled beautiful and all was good. We went up and down Usery mountain and headed along old bush highway. It takes about 8 miles to get to old bush highway and once i started along there I felt like the bike was getting boggy at 4000-4500rpm. I could cruise along at 5000 but something didnt feel right at about 60 likes an hour at 4000-4500. There was a wild wind today so I wasn't sure if I was just being pushed around or was I indeed feeling something in the engine so I kept heading out.

I pulled into the lot at the end and we took a five ten minute break and I turned off my fuel. Pingel. After we stretched our legs a bit turn on fuel and bike starts right up. We get about 30 yds from the parking lot and there is a cattle crossing and we bottomed out the rear shock fairly hard and the bike Died. Not even the oil light glowed. Dead ... and as I was coasting up to the side of the road there was a pronounced back fire from my right exhaust.

I turned the key off and anticipated what it would cost to get it towed from no where land with dismay. I turned the key back on and all the lights came back and the bike fired right up.

NO bog feeling on the way home! None??

Now the wind was a bit more to my back but there was still a fair amount of heavy cross wind.

I thought the strong wind might have been affecting my vent tubes but I have them zip tied to the frame behind the side covers.

When I recently pulled my carbs off to address the idle I found a lot of spudge at the idle hole. I have ridden a couple hundred miles since then. I did not go back and clean up the other passages though. Could it just have been some junk and the backfire removed it or //

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
    Havent taken the bike out since last saturday and the wife and I decided to head through the mountains.

Bike started right up idled beautiful and all was good. We went up and down Usery mountain and headed along old bush highway. It takes about 8 miles to get to old bush highway and once i started along there I felt like the bike was getting boggy at 4000-4500rpm. I could cruise along at 5000 but something didnt feel right at about 60 likes an hour at 4000-4500. There was a wild wind today so I wasn't sure if I was just being pushed around or was I indeed feeling something in the engine so I kept heading out.

I pulled into the lot at the end and we took a five ten minute break and I turned off my fuel. Pingel. After we stretched our legs a bit turn on fuel and bike starts right up. We get about 30 yds from the parking lot and there is a cattle crossing and we bottomed out the rear shock fairly hard and the bike Died. Not even the oil light glowed. Dead ... and as I was coasting up to the side of the road there was a pronounced back fire from my right exhaust.

I turned the key off and anticipated what it would cost to get it towed from no where land with dismay. I turned the key back on and all the lights came back and the bike fired right up.

NO bog feeling on the way home! None??

Now the wind was a bit more to my back but there was still a fair amount of heavy cross wind.

I thought the strong wind might have been affecting my vent tubes but I have them zip tied to the frame behind the side covers.

When I recently pulled my carbs off to address the idle I found a lot of spudge at the idle hole. I have ridden a couple hundred miles since then. I did not go back and clean up the other passages though. Could it just have been some junk and the backfire removed it or //
    Do you have pods or the original air box? I took my 1000G w/pods up to Tenn. a few years ago and had a somewhat similar feeling whenever I was hit by strong side winds. just a guess.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have the air box but it was crazy windy. Just dont know if that had anytging to do with it.

Comment

Could you tell if all 4 cylinders were firing before the bump and backfire. You may have a loose plug wire a d the cylinder was filling with unburned fuel and the bump may have caused the cylinder to start firing causing the backfire.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You know ... That is a good place to start! I pulled a couple plugs a few weeks back when getting my idle square. Think I will take my torque wrench to the plugs tomorrow and make sure they are all good and reconnect my cables.

Comment

I just found the thread you started Rick on your issues with the pods. On page three now but it has me thinking I may have routed my vent tubes poorly. I cut them down by maybe 4-6 inches and routed it down on the frame. That is just inside at the forward edge of the side cover. I checked the shop manual and it shows those hoses running way up under the seat. I wonder if they are far enough forward and pointed in a way that the very strong winds yesterday were causing a problem. Seems like they could be affected .. but its kind of a long shot.

Question .. was there ever anything over the two air intake holes on the bottom of the filter box. Gauze or ??? or were they just open holes.

Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

You may have a bad connector somewhere. Usual suspects are the fusebox tail and in around that general area.
              Fire it up with the side cover off and wiggle everything in sight.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Well I put in new vent lines and routed them to behind the airbox. I took the bike out twice today and tried to get the same response but couldnt make it do it again. I cruised at about 4300 rpm in 4th and 5th gear which is where it was happening but it wouldnt happen again. I didnt go up the mountain though and I have read that altitude can make things different.

I checked the torque on all my plugs and they were good and I reseated all the caps. I am pretty sure at this point that it was the heavy cross winds .. or some spudge in a jet that got coughed out. Either way .. bike ran fabulously today over some 40 miles??

Some time this week I will make the pass through the mountains and see if it changes but I have made the trip many times before but never in heavy winds and it was fine.

here is the new route

Comment

They go over the outer top edges of the frame right behind the frame pieces, then down the back of the airbox, in between the tranny and the swing arm and then clipped off about 1 inch below the bottom of the swing arm.

Basically like in post 6 except hung down below the swing arm
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just found the thread you started Rick on your issues with the pods. On page three now but it has me thinking I may have routed my vent tubes poorly. I cut them down by maybe 4-6 inches and routed it down on the frame. That is just inside at the forward edge of the side cover. I checked the shop manual and it shows those hoses running way up under the seat. I wonder if they are far enough forward and pointed in a way that the very strong winds yesterday were causing a problem. Seems like they could be affected .. but its kind of a long shot.

Question .. was there ever anything over the two air intake holes on the bottom of the filter box. Gauze or ??? or were they just open holes.

Just open holes.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well I put in new vent lines and routed them to behind the airbox. I took the bike out twice today and tried to get the same response but couldnt make it do it again. I cruised at about 4300 rpm in 4th and 5th gear which is where it was happening but it wouldnt happen again. I didnt go up the mountain though and I have read that altitude can make things different.

I checked the torque on all my plugs and they were good and I reseated all the caps. I am pretty sure at this point that it was the heavy cross winds .. or some spudge in a jet that got coughed out. Either way .. bike ran fabulously today over some 40 miles??

Some time this week I will make the pass through the mountains and see if it changes but I have made the trip many times before but never in heavy winds and it was fine.

here is the new route
                      Mine are routed through where the two seat posts are, through the hole and along the air box and that is the stock routing (pretty much where your's is now). That is dead air space, exactly where you want them for CVs, not down by the swing arm. Only hoses there is the drain hose from the air box and the other from the battery unless you have an AGM battery. I've been in some really nasty winds here and altitudes over 9,800+ feet and never had a problem one. I would like to see your Pingel set up, I'm wanting to get rid of that old style vacuum petcock myself.
                      Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I have been very happy with the Pingel. Man it operates so smoothly and for me, its one less thing that I have to worry about regarding maintenance. No diaphragms, just a valve. Only thing you should know going in is that the diameter of the shaft that goes up into the tank is round and about 2mm wider than on a stock petcock. Not a huge deal. I just took a dremel with a coarse wheel and a small file to just the area where the shaft would line up. Took all of ten minutes to install. The amount of material you remove is minimal enough that if you ever decide to go back to a vacuum petcock it still mounts and seals fine. I would never go back to a vacuum petcock.

oh .. and I think its damn purdy!!

Comment

I have been very happy with the Pingel. Man it operates so smoothly and for me, its one less thing that I have to worry about regarding maintenance. No diaphragms, just a valve. Only thing you should know going in is that the diameter of the shaft that goes up into the tank is round and about 2mm wider than on a stock petcock. Not a huge deal. I just took a dremel with a coarse wheel and a small file to just the area where the shaft would line up. Took all of ten minutes to install. The amount of material you remove is minimal enough that if you ever decide to go back to a vacuum petcock it still mounts and seals fine. I would never go back to a vacuum petcock.

oh .. and I think its damn purdy!!

Hmmm, apparently your stock mount for the petcock is further up on the 82 750E tank then my 80 750E. Mine sits right over the edge of the air box. Not enough space for the Pingel.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hey Bill
                            I dont think it sits any lower than the original petcock. If you would like i will throw a ruler on it to see how far down it projects.

Edited to add
                            I went out and checked and from the tank surface to the very bottom of the valve is 43mm. I could have gotten it down to a straight 4cm if I used less teflon tape and spun the valve in the adapter one more turn.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X