Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebayed R/R. Where to put it, which one's the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebayed R/R. Where to put it, which one's the ground?

I (think I) want to wire in an R/R from an 06 Yamaha R1 on my 79 GS1000E. In one thread I read, everybody seemed to agree that the best R/Rs come from that bike. However, I also got the impression that that year of R1 had the Shindengen FH012AA on it, whereas this one had a FH014AA. One of very few mentions of this model R/R, and the ONLY instance I could find on the internet of somebody possibly identifying which connector should go to ground on this R/R was here. It's not confidence inspiring, though, since the poster refers to the FH014 as a VR, not an R/R, and instead of "ground", he's saying "-ve", which I am deducing from context is ground. He's a BMW owner, so he talks kinda funny.

Also, I was thinking about where exactly to connect the big feller, since my model of GS apparently came with a separate regulator and rectifier, sort of circuitously wired together through, I believe, the ignition switch. I think I've got this part, but I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance. I tried to glean as much as I could from other posts, cuz I hate crappin' up forums with new threads, but nobody's talking about the FH012.

Hi,

How many wires does this r/r unit have and what color are they? I'm not familiar with that part, but it is on the "compatible" list.

Information gleaned from this forum (Thanks Andre!) and other sources:

Compatible Stators and R/R Units:

CLICK HERE for a list of compatible stators and FET regulator/rectifiers for the GS850 and other bikes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

How many wires does this r/r unit have and what color are they?
      Well, the wiring harness didn't come with it, so...zero, but it's got 5 pins.

Comment

Fho14 is the same as Fho12. 50a shingden. Not 100% the furukawa connectors fit that one unless you file down the male spades inside the connectors on the RR. There is one number of these that has slightly bigger than 1/4" spade connections. Not sure of it's the Fho10 or the Fho14.

You wire it up exactly the same as the fho12. 3 stator connections on one connector, + & - in the other.
        Plenty of info about which is which on here. I can't remember offhand.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

note the red and black wire locations.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

Nice picture Dale. That gives us the pinouts. From left to right; 1. (-), 2. (+), with 3-5 connected to the stator.

This has been my profound glimpse into the obvious for today.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sweet. Thanks, guys. I'm going to solder some leads on to the pins, because they're way too wide for typical female spade-type connectors, and I couldn't fit a pair of snips into the plugs. I'm guessing if I just hook the thing up to the same circuits my R and R were hooked to, I'll be in good shape. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Better if you blank of the positive lead that goes to the fusebox & connect direct to battery through a 30a fuse.

Also ground direct to battery & to frame.

Solder the stator connections.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X