charging woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging woes

well its happened to me now, ive just recently rcieved a 78 gs 1000, got it on the road, and it wasnt 15 moles i pulled over to put air in the front tire, shut the bike off, and it wouldnt start, battery drained, so i ended up bump starting it the rst of the day, ive read many threads on the charging troubles, so now i must start to run down where the problem is, or i can get some quick advice from the gs resources, is it at the stator?, or a regulator?, id like to ride w/out push starting, thanks!

It could be either, without checking ?? You need to check the stator first and the connections. If the stator is good I would replace the regulator.

Comment

This step by step procedure is the best I have seen. It will show you what is wrong.

Before you get too far in to it, please clean the contacts on the 3 stator wire plugs really well and add a ground from the regulator mount to the battery. I like to delete the stator wier plugs and solder/shrink the wires instead.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

On your bike, unless someone has already updated it to a newer combination regulator and rectifier, you will have a stator, a rectifier and a separate voltage regulator.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

charging woes

thanks for getting some feedback, ya ive been busy, and havent got back to mess w/ the bike, i put i trickle charger on the battery for over an hour, it fired right up using the starter, so first i'll check the connections, and output from the stator, what will the output read?, the battery will have a voltage reading, should it be greater than 12 volts?, how will i know if the regulator is not working?, this could have been the problem that parked the bike before i got it, and it was free to me. Besides the charging problem, its been great to ride, just has a bit of jet burble @ idle, can lose that with pilot screws??, weekend coming, need to ride!

Comment

Working...
          X