Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting/Electrical Problem, OH NO!

Good afternoon!

I read through countless threads, but couldn't seem to find the answer i needed.

I have a 1982 GS1100G with just over 12,000 miles on the clock.

I've put a couple of thousand miles on it without incident and was even riding last night with no problems.

This morning, I got to start it and no problem, it's turning over at normal speed and firing, but it's a bit cold blooded so i give it a bit of choke, which evidently put a little extra load on the electrical system and everything went instantly dead, not a slow draw down like when your battery is going dead, just went from turning over fast and normal to instantly not cranking.

I pull the fuse cover, check all the fuses. Nothing burned out. After a few minutes, all of sudden all the lights come back on with the key on, go to hit the starter again, here a small click and all goes instantly dead.

Voltage test the battery and it reads 12.7 volts. Turn the key on and it drops to about .5 volt. Disconnect the positive terminal and the battery reads 12.7 volts. The positive cable gets warm when hooked up.

I hook up a battery charger with a 40amp start boost and it starts, but not easily. Ride it around the block and it misfires when trying to accelerate.

Shut it off and the same thing, if you turn the key back on, nothing lights back up. Evidently, there is a huge draw somewhere perhaps?

Anyone have any thougths or experiences with this?

David
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM.

open the headlight bucket and check the red and orange wires from the ignition switch

connector may have melted or just be corroded

Comment

Replace or substitute the battery.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

And put away the boost box.

Some of those will boost voltage so they don't have to provide as many amps. That extra voltage will kill your bike's regulator.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the ultra quick replies everyone, i'll pull the old battery and check the wiring connections as suggested. A quick easy fix sure would make my day

Comment

Originally posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
            Thanks for the ultra quick replies everyone, i'll pull the old battery and check the wiring connections as suggested. A quick easy fix sure would make my day
            whatever the source of the heating of your positive wire is it needs to be addressed first

if you have ever seen an electrical fire start in a car you will know what I mean
            its rapid and nasty
            not much to nurn on a bike though but dont risk your whole wiring harness
            fix the issue and be careful

Comment

might take your ignition switch apart could be dirty inside and not always allowing good contact. Might explain light not working when turning key at times. terrylee

Comment

Working...
              X