Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what have I done.....

Hi all.

I decided that the fuse box mounting plate was really dirty so decided to take it all off. spray it put it back on with n ice shiny bolts now the 25 amp fuse keeps blowing as soon as the ignition is tuned on.

You ever get the feeling ... you shouldn't have bothered.

I have done nothing different than before ... so not sure whats wrong?.

does anyone have any ideas please

Hi,

A 25 amp fuse seems too big. What bike are we talking about? Please put it in your sig file.

I would think that you shorted something to ground (the frame) when you put it back together. Carefully check your work again.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi It's a GS1000G 1981

Does anyone ahve a pic of how the plate should look please?

does the plate have a ground?

I did take them all off the plate and plugged them in and it still blew?

Comment

Can anyone help, still blowingf fuses

Comment

so you unbolted the fuse block from where it mounts and let it just hang loose, to see if it blows then? if not that could help find the short.

25amp does seem too high as well.

is it blowing as soon as you put it in, when you try to start the bike, after it runs for 5 minutes, what?
          ---Eric

Comment

Which fuse is it you are talking about, there are a number of fuses on that model. Did it occur to you that someone had put that heavy 25amp fuse in there for a reason.

Comment

In the stock configuration, the MAIN fuse is a 15-amp, all the others are 10-amp.

We need to know which one blows, as NONE of them is supposed to be a 25.

At one end of the fuse box is a pair of screw terminals for your AUX outlet. Start at the other end to identify your fuses:

LIGHTS - provides power to headlight, tail light and instrument panel lights
              SIGNALS - provides power to turn signals, brake light, horn and warning lights (low oil pressure, side stand, etc. (OK, it's an '81, it does not have a sidestand light))
              IGNITION - provides power to coils and ignitor, also triggers starter solenoid
              MAIN - provides power to the top three fuses before the engine is running. After engine is running, protects battery from R/R output.
              AUX - provides power to one of the two screws that is next to it. (The other screw is a ground.)

As Sparky mentioned, let the fuse box hang free to see if it still blows fuses.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it linked to the ignition. When i put new fuses in the and turn he key ignition light comes on and then straight away it blows the fuse.

I took it all apart again and left it hang loose and it still doing that. I did just repalce the kill switch and light switch but had the bike running since.

So i'm gonna take this off and try this aswell. .... argh... just got it it running and now this.

25 amp was just what was in before,

Comment

Hi From the description below it seems to be the main fuse which is blowing, but at the same time it is heating the ignition one up. but the main one breasks first.

Could the bike just have a general bad earthing?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  In the stock configuration, the MAIN fuse is a 15-amp, all the others are 10-amp.

We need to know which one blows, as NONE of them is supposed to be a 25.

At one end of the fuse box is a pair of screw terminals for your AUX outlet. Start at the other end to identify your fuses:

LIGHTS - provides power to headlight, tail light and instrument panel lights
                  SIGNALS - provides power to turn signals, brake light, horn and warning lights (low oil pressure, side stand, etc. (OK, it's an '81, it does not have a sidestand light))
                  IGNITION - provides power to coils and ignitor, also triggers starter solenoid
                  MAIN - provides power to the top three fuses before the engine is running. After engine is running, protects battery from R/R output.
                  AUX - provides power to one of the two screws that is next to it. (The other screw is a ground.)

As Sparky mentioned, let the fuse box hang free to see if it still blows fuses.

Comment

Disconnect the R/R (reg-rectifier) from the circuit and see if the "proper" fuse still blows.

disconnection of the R/R could involve cutting or unplugging the red wire that goes to the fuse panel.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

would it still start without the reg rec plugged in

Comment

Absolutely it will still start, and run, just off the battery, not the charging system.

Comment

Oh no... I have really done it now

Sorry guys... me an electrics dont mix.

I went back to basics adn checked all my wiring and undid the reg/rec and got it so the fuses didnt blow.... but the bike would not turn over.

So decided to try a the wires around in case I didnt connect the stator properly....... AND THAT WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG

Now I have no light and no starting .

I ahve tried the wires in lots of combinations... with no joy.. So good new no blown fuses.. but down side bike aint doing anything

I ahve enclosed a pic of my hope less hand holsing wires.... does anyone have a clue which goes where.... and yes I'm a numpty :-)

wires on bottom left a from the alternator
                          the ones on the right are reg /rec
                          the ones top right ...erm... just not sure
                          also there is one from the startor

Comment

The 3 yellow wires the input wires from the RR. They plug into the 3 stator output wires in your left hand, which one does not matter, they are all the same.
                            The red wire is the RR output. It should go to a wire connected to your battery.

Comment

thanks mate, I been out and hooked up the stator wires to the reg/rec, the only prob is from the bunch of wire on the top right ( http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/SDC10846.jpg) i have a male and femal left, but from the same bunch of wire?

So I have one main red with going from the fuse box to the battery

I now have 3 wires from the stor going to the reg rec, The red wire going from the reg rec to the red wire at the top left.

I the have another wire looks like its from the stator plugged in at the top left. so I am left with 2 wires male and female but coming both out of the to......

and still no lights i'm afraid

Comment

Working...
                              X