battery losing fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery losing fluid

Ok I have been through the stator pages and my bike doesnt charge over 14.8 at any rpm but after about 180 miles, I am finding my battery cells almost dry. The battery is only 3 months old so does anyone have any clues. I assumed it was overcharging and boiling off, but that does not seem to be the case.

As to your battery, there are only two ways for the fluid to get that low:

1. Boiling off
    2. Crack in the case

Either way, you've got acid coming out. Any signs of acid damage to the frame?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yea, there is acid on the frame, but it only loses acid after a long run, not when sitting. but as I said, It is not overcharging at 5000 rpm. I am at a ??????

Comment

Was the old battery also doing the same thing?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM. Reason: also
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

dont know. I bought the new battery when I bought it cause the other battery was years old. but this just started about 2 weeks ago.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Can you mount a voltmeter on it and go for a ride?

Might be something happening that you can't duplicate in the driveway.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Can you mount a voltmeter on it and go for a ride?

Might be something happening that you can't duplicate in the driveway.

I dont think that will be possible.

Comment

If the battery is good your overcharging. R/R may be bad.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What does your V meter read with the bike turned off ? Slight meter error and you could be around 15 volts which could cause slight over charge a loss of water in the battery. Even tho it is new it could be the battery too! I have had batteries that used various amounts of water for no apparent reason

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    What does your V meter read with the bike turned off ? Slight meter error and you could be around 15 volts which could cause slight over charge a loss of water in the battery. Even tho it is new it could be the battery too! I have had batteries that used various amounts of water for no apparent reason

12.06. Already thought of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X