Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weak spark/no spark

Hey guys,

to make a long story short, recently I seem to be getting a weak spark and sometimes no spark condition.

When turning over the engine, I either get a weak orange spark, or no spark at all.
    Is a certain condition indicative of this?

I'm guessing the igniter because it happens on all cylinders, is this a safe bet? How much would it cost to replace?

Thanks!

igniter from me for your bike=50 bucks plus shipping.
    there may be someone around here that will just give you one for the shipping price.
    post something in the classifieds under "wanted items".
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    there are several models that take the same igniter as yours..
    it would be nice if you could find someone local to let you plug there box and see if it fixes your problem.

Comment

Could be igniter, but could also be low voltage to coils and igniter due to weak battery or corrosion in wires. Check voltage during cranking.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

battery voltage is good, i charged the battery beforehand in order to rule that out of the equation. Is there a ground other than the main ground that could be of concern?

Comment

Measure the coil secondary resistance, with and with the spark plug end caps. then measure each end cap. what are the values?
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Try a different ignition fuse, just in case. I'm unsure about ignitor box grounding issues,maybe Bassclift will descend soon.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

igniter does not need grounded.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                igniter does not need grounded.
                But there is a wire coming out of the ignitor that goes to ground.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

What is the voltage at the coils? What is the battery voltage as you are cranking? Have a look at THIS PAGE and the troubleshooting tips.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had the same problem. My right sparkplug was either very weak or had no spark at all. It turned out that I had dirty electrical connections. Clean the electrical connections at the coils and the igniter. Or better yet, clean the entire wiring harness.

Comment

Both coils measure 4 ohms across them. The left coil has 9.8V provided to it, and the right coil has 0.1V provided to it, which is obviously a problem? What would cause that?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        But there is a wire coming out of the ignitor that goes to ground.
                        GRRRRRR
                        that was not the question

Comment

Originally posted by qwqb View Post
                          Both coils measure 4 ohms across them. The left coil has 9.8V provided to it, and the right coil has 0.1V provided to it, which is obviously a problem? What would cause that?
                          Orange and white wire has .1V at the right coil?
                          That could be a problem.
                          Melted wire, broken wire or a short
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My understanding is that both coils share a common + feed thru o/w wire as long as ignition is powered- the ignitor fires the negative coil sides per signal generator pulse. Connection to this coil must be damaged, if you can get 9.8 volts to other coil - assuming you're measuring to same ground point.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              My understanding is that both coils share a common + feed thru o/w wire as long as ignition is powered- the ignitor fires the negative coil sides per signal generator pulse. Connection to this coil must be damaged, if you can get 9.8 volts to other coil - assuming you're measuring to same ground point.
                              both of the O/W wires that go to the two coils are connected to the same point in the harness. Not only is the one low, but th other must have come loose .

Take the tank off and peal back the electrical tape till you find the crimp. Clean and solder it check the do the same with the crimps at the coil.

Comment

Working...
                              X