New coils now no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New coils now no spark

I have an '81 GS550 and found cylinders 2&3 were not firing. It would run on cylinders 1&4. I checked the coils and found the one for 1&4 read 32K Ohms and the one for 2&3 only read 20K OHMS so I replaced both coils with Dyna coils, new wires (suppression) and new plugs. I now have no spark on 1&4 or 2&3. I checked and I have 12V at the coils (I have already done the relay mod). I checked the new coils 31K Ohms on both. I'm not sure what else to check. It seems I should at least have spark on 1&4 as I did before I changed out the coils. I'm sure it is related to the coils swap, I just can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.
    And I already cleaned the carbs, dipped for 48 hrs compressed air and rebuild kits. Also new O-rings. In case someone asks.
    Zack

Check your connections to the ignitor and signal generator, and check to see if signal gen. is working. terrylee

Comment

Did these new suppression coil wires come with their own plug caps, or are you using your old ones?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll check to make sure I am getting signal from the signal generators. I was before the new coils maybe a wire got pinched or something in the change over. I just don't understand why I would loose spark on both. And the wires did come with their own caps. Everything from the coils to the spark plugs is new.

Comment

Update

When in doubt check your connections. Turns out that while wedging everything in place I had pulled a connector loose under the fuseblock. The one that feeds the coils. So because I had already done the coil relay mod I had 12 volts at the coil but was getting no signal to them. Cleaned up the conections, plugged it back in and viola vroom vroom. Thanks for your help.
          Zack

Comment

Love a happy ending!

Comment

Working...
            X