Can one coil output be bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can one coil output be bad?

When double checking my dyna s ignition with a timing light, on cylinder 4 the light flashes fine at idle but over about 1500 rpm it wont flash at all. On the other 3 cylinders it works fine at all rpm.

I checked both coils resistance; 5.5k and 5.4k across each and 22k ohms each plug cap to cap. I also pulled the ngk plug caps apart and cleaned inside and check the resistance of each one (all around 5k).

I also swapped caps and spark plugs for cylinder 4 too and it made no difference.

So I'm wandering if one side of a coil can go bad? Or if its more likely the lead? Or something else.

Thanks
    1979 GS750E

Scrap the stock coils and get Dyna green coils and wires. Out of ignorance, I replaced mine with all new factory coils and caps and they had me chasing my tail for a year woundering why it never ran quite right. I don't think the Dyna S does very well without the matching coils. After I switched, it was like night and day at less than half the price.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
      Scrap the stock coils and get Dyna green coils and wires. Out of ignorance, I replaced mine with all new factory coils and caps and they had me chasing my tail for a year woundering why it never ran quite right. I don't think the Dyna S does very well without the matching coils. After I switched, it was like night and day at less than half the price.
      I'm happy to get the dyna coils as it sounds like they will give a stronger spark either way, so Z1 ent. will be enjoying more of my custom.

I also recall that cylinder #4 had intermittent flashes of orange on the colortune when off idle too which would apparently indicate a low float height, but I checked the fuel level with clear hose and it was fine. And I've been getting the odd puff of black smoke too. In short I've been chasing what I thought was carb problems but now I suspect ignition.
      1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
        When double checking my dyna s ignition with a timing light, on cylinder 4 the light flashes fine at idle but over about 1500 rpm it wont flash at all. On the other 3 cylinders it works fine at all rpm.

I checked both coils resistance; 5.5k and 5.4k across each and 22k ohms each plug cap to cap. I also pulled the ngk plug caps apart and cleaned inside and check the resistance of each one (all around 5k).

I also swapped caps and spark plugs for cylinder 4 too and it made no difference.

So I'm wandering if one side of a coil can go bad? Or if its more likely the lead? Or something else.

Thanks
        It sounds like the plug wire may have a break in it, allowing the spark to find a quicker way to 'earth'. have you inspected them for cracks?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Micro cracks also will produce premature grounding although the wire looks fine. An old coot taught me a trick that works 100% as long as the rubber isnt obviously torn or cracked to the core. Take the coils off and buy a can of 100% silicone spray at any auto parts. Heavily soak the entire wire with the spray and let ALMOST but not fully dry. Do this 3 or 4 times and this allows the rubber to absorb tons of silicone. At that point let them dry for a day and this will let the absorbed silicone "gel" so to speak. I had tons of problems with my 77 750 and even my 98 Shadow expecially when it was raining ior high humidity. I did as i was told and all problems immediately went away. In general though i have found that a coil either works or dont..never heard of one working but not emmitting the proper spark voltage.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So sounds like it most probably is the lead. Since they're over 30 years old I think I will try replacing them all though I am still tempted by dyna coils just for peace of mind.
            1979 GS750E

Comment

Working...
            X