Dyna coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna coils

Do a 1979 GS750 ( points type ignition) and a 1980 GS1100 ( electronic ignition) both use the green 3.0 ohm coils. I tried to look it up on their website but it's pretty vague. If I order their plug wires do I get the supression wires or non supression? Thanks in advance.

The electronic ignition model definitely green. I'd use green on the points model too but add in a 2ohm ballast resistor. The extra primary resistance helps keeps your points from burning out.

OK, really, what I would do is slap on a Dyna S. Buying the 3 ohm coils and using the resistor with points means you won't have to get new coils if you do that in the future.

Oh, and for the wires I'd use copper core.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

If you keep the points, you need the red 1.5 Ohm coils. Personally, I recommend the Dyna S with the green coils.
      If you get non-suppression wires, you want supression caps. If you get suppression wires, you need non-suppression caps. Either works.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        If you keep the points, you need the red 1.5 Ohm coils.
        I think you mean the black 5 ohm coils.
        1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
          I think you mean the black 5 ohm coils.
          Yup the 1.5 ohms will burn out the points in no time.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So, to be clear, if I change nothing else, I need the black 5.0 ohm on the 750 point type and the green 3.0 ohm on the 1100 electronic ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by 58yroldbikr View Post
              So, to be clear, if I change nothing else, I need the black 5.0 ohm on the 750 point type and the green 3.0 ohm on the 1100 electronic ignition?
              You are correct sir
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thankyou.....

Comment

Even if you are keeping the points for now I would get the green 3 ohm coils and add a resistor Mopar ign balast resistor work great. My 850 has been like this for 4-5 years . Use the suppression wires with auto type ends.. Saves expenses if you later decide to install the Dyna S ign

Comment

Dyna green coils

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Even if you are keeping the points for now I would get the green 3 ohm coils and add a resistor Mopar ign balast resistor work great. My 850 has been like this for 4-5 years . Use the suppression wires with auto type ends.. Saves expenses if you later decide to install the Dyna S ign
                    Kev here, so i can install the Dyna 3.0 OHM Coils on my GS1100 with out installing the Dyna Ignition . I thought they had to be installed together.

Comment

Originally posted by 42962kevin View Post
                      Kev here, so i can install the Dyna 3.0 OHM Coils on my GS1100 with out installing the Dyna Ignition . I thought they had to be installed together.
                      Yes you can.

Comment

Oops. My bad. My lady has promised to give me 30 lashes. I hope.

Comment

Working...
                        X