Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going nuts with LED turn signals...

Gentlemen, I need some assistance:

I converted a 1982 Suzuki GS650 to led turn signals, front and rear.

Before I did this, I replaced the stockflasher with an LED flasher from SuperBright LED's, model CF12ANL-01 (it plugs directly into the 2-wire stock harness) http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...F12ANL-01.html

However, when the turn signals are on, I have a 4-way blink problem. I figured that there stillw as not enough load to operate the flasher properly, so I added a set of "Stage 1" load resistors from CustomLED.

With the load resistors installed, I STILL have a 4-way blink problem, although the voltage leakage to the other side isn't as bad.

When I hook up the stock incandscent signals, everything works fine.

I can only draw either of 2 conclusions:

1. My LED flasher really isn't a true LED flasher and needs a significant amount of load to operate correctly.

OR

2. There is something about the signaling circutry of this bike that requires a certain amount of load to operate correctly - I haven't delved into the wiring diagram yet.

Your thoughts?

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
    Gentlemen, I need some assistance:

I converted a 1982 Suzuki GS650 to led turn signals, front and rear.

Before I did this, I replaced the stockflasher with an LED flasher from SuperBright LED's, model CF12ANL-01 (it plugs directly into the 2-wire stock harness) http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...F12ANL-01.html

However, when the turn signals are on, I have a 4-way blink problem. I figured that there stillw as not enough load to operate the flasher properly, so I added a set of "Stage 1" load resistors from CustomLED.

With the load resistors installed, I STILL have a 4-way blink problem, although the voltage leakage to the other side isn't as bad.

When I hook up the stock incandscent signals, everything works fine.

I can only draw either of 2 conclusions:

1. My LED flasher really isn't a true LED flasher and needs a significant amount of load to operate correctly.

OR

2. There is something about the signaling circutry of this bike that requires a certain amount of load to operate correctly - I haven't delved into the wiring diagram yet.

Your thoughts?
    If you look at the wiring diagram ( visit Basscliff's site), you'll see that with stock signals, when you activate right blinker, the dash indicator relies on getting its ground connection (so it can flash too) by using the left signal bulb filaments.And vice-versa when you activate left signal. Not enough current flows thru there to notice with regular bulbs, but leds will respond to this tiny current.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

From the electrical section of my little website. I hope it helps.

If your gauge cluster has a single turn signal indicator bulb, here is some helpful information from Mr. Steve:

If you have a single [turn signal indicator] bulb in the instrument panel, it is fed by two hot wires from the turn signals. The indicator bulb acts as a current limiter and uses the turn signals on the other side as a ground wire. When the left turn signals are on, the indicator will also light, but won't pass enough current to light the right-side signals, so it uses them as a ground. Same thing for the other side.

If you want to use a single LED for your indicator, there is no problem, as long as you use a couple other LEDs to feed it.

Here is a diagram I did for somebody doing the same thing some time ago. It only shows the lights, not the wires that come from the controls, etc., but it shows the original setup with a standard bulb, then how to wire in two LEDs that will allow the use of a single LED in the instrument panel.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow - that makes tons of sense...

So, I see a few options here:

1. Disconnect the dash light

2. Wire LED's into the dash light

Correct?

I don't see any other way of feeding power to the dash light without causing current to flow through the other turn signal leg...

Comment

Alright, I just thought of this...

What about keeping the stock dash light, ground it to the frame, and then feed it with a set of standard diodes?

Comment

Working...
          X