Need some wiring help, really bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some wiring help, really bad.

Ok, I've posted a few questions about this, but never a full, "Please help me."

The signal lights on my GS400E will not function. The brake indicator also does not work. I have a headlight, and high beams, but I do not have turn signals or a brake light.

I also do not have any indication on the console that I have any signal power at all. All of the other lights work(high beam, neutral, etc.), so I figured that this is beyond just a group of bad bulbs.

I have not replaced any bulbs.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what I should check?

If you have any more questions because I didn't provide enough info, don't hesitate to ask, I will give you as much info as possible. I wanna get this fixed, so I can get this thing on the road...

I would first make a trip to Radio Shack and buy a can (maybe 2) of spray electrical contact cleaner and some dielectric grease. Pick up a volt meter or a 12vdc test light too. Go through the WHOLE bike and clean and grease every electrical connector from the fuse box to the headlight bucket and then back to the tail light. Ya never know.... you might just fix the problems by doing that. Your problem sounds like it could be a common ground somewhere. Those need a good cleaning too and maybe some 400 guys will chime in to let you know where those ground points are.

Good luck.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I read alot of posts on here and this is a multi posted statement, clean those contacts. You might find on has worked it's self loose and expanded a bit.

Comment

Can someone gimme an idea as to where all the contacts are? This is my first bike, so I have no idea about a lot of this.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they all share a common ground, and looking at the '83 GS450ED wiring diagram (which I'm hoping is the same as your 400E), it looks like that's the case. Ground should be black/white.

The black/white isn't shown as being connected to the turn signal relay which is weird as it ends on the diagram right beside it, so I'd say that may be a misprint. Does your turn signal relay have two or three connections?

The thing I'd be checking is your left control as not only does that contain the indicator switch, but it also appears to connect to both your rear brake light switch and brake light. That's one big piece of commonality there... is it actually plugged into the harness properly? As another test, your horn is connected there too.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            I'm pretty sure they all share a common ground, and looking at the '83 GS450ED wiring diagram (which I'm hoping is the same as your 400E), it looks like that's the case. Ground should be black/white.

The black/white isn't shown as being connected to the turn signal relay which is weird as it ends on the diagram right beside it, so I'd say that may be a misprint. Does your turn signal relay have two or three connections?

The thing I'd be checking is your left control as not only does that contain the indicator switch, but it also appears to connect to both your rear brake light switch and brake light. That's one big piece of commonality there... is it actually plugged into the harness properly? As another test, your horn is connected there too.
            I have a lot of trouble following the wiring diagrams, but I'll definitely try my best to figure that out.

Actually, what wiring diagram are you looking at? Link?

Comment

It's in my Clymer manual.

However, I just had a quick glance at the Haynes manual and the one for "GS450 EZ, LZ, TZ and TXZ (US models)" looks like it's the same. No page number, it's just right at the back amongst the others.

Have you tested any of the bulbs individually? As in take an indicator and put one lead on + and one on - to see if it actually lights up. Perhaps some sort of spike has blown all the bulbs?

sigpic

Comment

It's in my Clymer manual.

However, I just had a quick glance at the Haynes manual and the one for "GS450 EZ, LZ, TZ and TXZ (US models)" looks like it's the same. No page number, it's just right at the back amongst the others.

Have you tested any of the bulbs individually? As in take an indicator and put one lead on + and one on - to see if it actually lights up. Perhaps some sort of spike has blown all the bulbs?
                I haven't tested the bulbs, but I don't think it's likely that it's actually the bulbs, simply because the console doesn't show any indication of signal function.

Comment

Originally posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
                  I haven't tested the bulbs, but I don't think it's likely that it's actually the bulbs, simply because the console doesn't show any indication of signal function.
                  Unless it blew the console bulbs as well

But I would tend to agree that it's more a connection issue somewhere, so try the grounds and left controls first I would suggest...

sigpic

Comment

Unless it blew the console bulbs as well

But I would tend to agree that it's more a connection issue somewhere, so try the grounds and left controls first I would suggest...
                    Will do. I'll post up tomorrow. It's getting too damn cold in the garage...

Comment

How many fuses in your bike?

If it has multiple fuses, there is one fuse that handles the turn signals, brake light and the horn.

If it has a single fuse, start using your test light to see if power is getting to the various switches, then on to the lights.

Originally posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
                      NEVER ASSUME.
                      Let me repeat that: NEVER ASSUME.

Forget all the jokes about what happens when you break that word apart, just check it and be sure.
                      In fact, Mr. Nessism has those profound words in his signature: "To measure is to know."
                      Pay special attention to what I bolded in your statement.

Test the bulbs. Use your test light to see if power is getting to the switch. Test to see if it's getting past the switch to the bulb socket.
                      UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY TEST IT, YOU WILL NOT KNOW FOR SURE.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've tested the bulbs now, and all of them are fine. As is the fuse. I'm going to start cleaning and testing connections today.

Any other advice, guys?

Comment

What year is your bike? also, do you have an online link to the wiring diagram for it?
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            What year is your bike? also, do you have an online link to the wiring diagram for it?
                            It's an 83.

I'm using the one on page 223(actual paper page, not the PDF page) of the GS/GSX 250, 400, 450 Haynes manual on the bikecliff site.

It's labeled the diagram labeled as GS450 ET, EX, LT, LX, SX and TX (US) models.

Comment

Working...
                            X