No announcement yet.

Horn relay mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, evidently the button does not short to the handlebar, but to a separate ground wire.

In that case, it makes sense, but you are still running a LOT of current through the horns switch when you push the button.

Using a relay will fix that and provide full current to the horns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh, yeah!!!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      OK, evidently the button does not short to the handlebar, but to a separate ground wire.

In that case, it makes sense, but you are still running a LOT of current through the horns switch when you push the button. .

Good!! I didn't use it often but, when I did, it was really loud and it made me really happy (and, sometimes safer)! That's what a horn should do....and it did!!!!!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I agree with Steve; a button or a switch should be an actuator, not a current provider. Contacts tend to burn over time. I had to disassemble and fix the starter button on an 81 KZ750 I had; it was a PITA. Fortunately I knew how they were designed from prior experience, so I was careful not to lose the spring or other tiny parts.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          I agree with Steve; a button or a switch should be an actuator, not a current provider. Contacts tend to burn over time..
          How many lifetimes would you have to live before you'd blow your horn enough times before you'd be sorry you did it the way I did it???

Comment

If you ride in the Orient or in Italy, it would only take a few days.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If you ride in the Orient or in Italy, it would only take a few days.

I just came back from India 3 weeks ago and, that is so true!!!!!!! If you could ever wear out a horn, that would be the place!!

Comment

On my bike I was never concerned about the switch, it's pretty crude abut has a lot of surface area. What was a concern was the tiny 18ga wire feeding it. It was easier to add a relay than to open up the harness and replace the wire all the way to the switch. I agree that to an extent "switches" should be used for control and not supply but you can also really over complicate things.

Comment

Working...
                X