a bit confused on my 78 gs1000 R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bit confused on my 78 gs1000 R/R

I see that the original configuration has 2 separate R/R's.
    Any suggestions on what to replace the two units with? I can get the originals from Suzuki, about 8 days.

I have searched the forums and haven't really found too much definite information on this.

my question is, what would people recommend for an aftermarket upgrade? I hear the compufire is a good brand, but don't quite understand how i would change from the 2 separate units to the one single unit.

The only reason i ask is because I've been having troubles keeping the battery charged. Seems to run for about a day or so, (which makes tuning kinda hard considering i have about 2 hours a day to work on it...) then the battery will drain dead. I replaced the battery last year, so i know that's not the problem. it just doesn't seem to be putting the juice to the battery that it needs. The current Rectifier, not the headlight one mounted flush with the plate but the one horizontal with the plate gets warm if the bike is run at about 5k. is this the only time that the unit should be charging?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by 78GS1KNH View Post
    I see that the original configuration has 2 separate R/R's.
    Your bike has a separate rectifier and a separate regulator. it does not have two R/R's

contact member duaneage and buy one of His Honda replacement units. then replace both units with the combination rectifier/regulator (r/r) you bought.

Last edited by rustybronco; 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Depends on what you want to spend. I went with the Compufire system. There are members selling later model Honda R/R's that are much better than the Sazuki system. You have a separate Rectifier and regulator. later models had a combined unit, both will work. Two of your stator wires were twined, about six inches down in the wiring bundle. I believe it was the yellow and the white/blue wire. The remaining wire was diverted through the on/off switch to turn it off with the light so it wouldn't overcharge. That's how bad they were. They also shunt to ground to keep from overcharging so they run 100% of the time, charging or shunting to ground. The advantage of the $180.00 Compufire system is that it switches off when it isn't needed therefore not heating up your oil when it is off (one of the advantages).
      Last edited by OldVet66; 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        Two of your stator wires were twined, about six inches down in the wiring bundle. I believe it was the yellow and the white/blue wire.
        correct...

(I went looking for those colors to edit my post)

Comment

Sorry rusty, was typing when you posted, beat me to it.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The stator is aftermarket, has three yellow wires. as far as the harness goes, i had the stator cover off and took the stator out so i think i know which wires are which, one was connected to a green wire, and the other two i'm not so positive about. from your description it seems correct from memory (which is lacking these days... ) It seems like it would be a simple thing to replace it with a compufire. I may end up going that route if the good comments about it keep up.

Thank you all for your help!
            - Jud

Comment

This is a thread I did during my Compufire install. Hope it helps. Just substitute the matching color codes with one of your yellow wires. Wrap the shortest white/blue and yellow back into the wiring bundle. You don't use those. The loop through the light switch is abandoned. It's all spelled out in that thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=Compufire
              Last edited by OldVet66; 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

My Honda RR kit is practically a bolt in. On the older bikes it mounts on one of the original brackets and the connectors match the bike, making it a snap to install. I also include a few new connectors in case you have a damaged one to replace.

Cost is 45 dollars including shipping and I can ship immediately.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Mr. duaneage is the r/r DUDE!

Seriously, it's the best deal in town.

The Compufire units are great, but pricey.

Connect the three stator output wires directly to the r/r input wires. Like Mr. OldVtet66 says, you don't need that loop to the (usually non-existant) headlight switch on the handlebars. You can read about it (and see pictures) in the stator replacement guide on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much guys

I'm going to keep you posted on how the install goes. I ended up going with Mr. Duanage's R/R unit because i cannot justify $174 for the compu-fire unit when this one will work just as good.

Truly a lifesaver my friend. I thank you.

Mr. Basscliff - Without your website and knowledge, This bike would have either remained a lost cause, or a financial burden.

Comment

Hi,

Just remember, because of the way the Compufire unit regulates, having dirty connections in the charging system is not as critical. But with a regular shunting r/r unit, having clean connections is very important so as not to pass an inordinate amount of heat back to the stator.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi,

Just remember, because of the way the Compufire unit regulates, having dirty connections in the charging system is not as critical. But with a regular shunting r/r unit, having clean connections is very important so as not to pass an inordinate amount of heat back to the stator.

BassCliff
                        Yes, and when installed as recommended, and voltage drop in the switched lead for the sensor wire will correspond to additional output from the R/R, which is to say that if the battery is fully charged but voltage drop at the sensor wire tells the R/R that the battery is not fully charged, then the R/R can continue to put out more power than needed and boil the water out of the battery.

One of my former bikes experienced overcharging from this, and toasted a battery on a cross country trip.

Lazy guy that I am, I moved the sensor wire to the battery So far so good, but isn't even quite 2 years yet...
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

ok, maybe i am a bit confused. I ripped apart the harness today revealing the new connector i put in last fall. I see how the white/blue line wires intertwine and the yellow wires intertwine. I may just be reading this incorrectly, but when you said they would be intertwined i thought you meant the yellow with the white/blue. With this Honda kit, I assume that i could just ignore all the old wires from the stator (white/blue, green, yellow) and run the red wire out from the unit to the fusebox and ground to the frame (pending clean location)? Will i need to fuse the R/R red wire to the fuse box? Or do i connect it on the outward side of the box? Does it actually matter?

here's a look at what I'm working with.

Comment

Cliff,
                            I would say that on the stator side, poor connections are not nearly as bad with a SERIES R/R because there is a much reduced current in the stator ( don't recall the exact values but say 1/2). On the battery (Red +) and (Black -) side it is harder to make that argument, and most of the guidelines for a SHUNT R/R would apply the same to a SERIES.

Unless there is a sense wire either SHUNT or SERIES will regulate voltage internally so a voltage drop from R/R(+) to battery (+) will cause the same mis charging of the battery. Same applies at the negative side.
                            Jim

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Hi,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 78GS1KNH View Post
                              ok, maybe i am a bit confused.
                              78GS1KNH, pm sent...

Comment

Working...
                              X