My blinkers won't blink...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My blinkers won't blink...

So i've got all my wires hooked up.. the fronts come on as running lights and everything... but when i turn the blinkers on all they do is stay yellow...

Any ideas?

Bad switch contacts? I don't know the wiring at all for the running lights, but maybe the relay is bad.

Comment

I suppose i should mention the model of bike..

It's an 83 gs550esd.

I don't get it though like left blinkers (rear and front) light up but don't blink, they just stay solid yellow. As the the right front and rear... And the front bulbs are fine (the running lights work and all)

Comment

Try another relay, or check the wiring to the relay.

Comment

Check grounds , if not grounded properly will not flash only come on. terrylee

Comment

Blinkers stay solid

Select left turn signals on control, if they stay solid and do not blink LIGHTLY give each a slap with your hand, and repeat with the right side signals as well. If they start to blink, as mine have in the past, after the slap then change the bulbs and check the ground wire to each post (most turn signals I have seen are independently grounded to the stalk). If the slap technique doesn't produce desired results, you must still replace all bulbs and the relay. All in all a pretty inexpensive problem, but remember if you replace ANY bulb you need to replace ALL the bulbs, ie. all turns signals should be replaced.

Comment

Why would you need to replace all bulbs if only one has gone bad? I can see that for tires but not bulbs.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Because ...

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Why would you need to replace all bulbs if only one has gone bad? I can see that for tires but not bulbs.
                Same reason you replace both your headlights on your car if one is bad ... they work in pairs. Or you could be like my wife and continously replace one different bulb every other month because you try to find a logical explanation as to why both need replaced, or in this case all four. She was so amazed that after I replaced both for her she had working headlights for a long, long time. Keep the old working ones for emergency burnouts on long trips or whatever.

Comment

Okay. I've never had that issue by only replacing the one that has gone bad. Maybe I've been lucky with all of my vehicles over the years.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you have a manual check the wiring first. If this checks out try another flasher relay. If you don't have the right bulbs they won't flash either.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Are all four turn signals hooked up?

Comment

Yes, all four turn signals are hooked up. And yes they are properly grounded (If they weren't the running lights would not come on.)

Where is this relay you speak of... i can't locate it in my manual.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Okay. I've never had that issue by only replacing the one that has gone bad. Maybe I've been lucky with all of my vehicles over the years.
                          Me, too!
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hi,

My flasher (turn signal relay) is under the right side cover. Have a look on my website at my turn signal relay replacement guide and look on the Electrical Odds and Ends page for flasher information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchWannaB View Post
                              Same reason you replace both your headlights on your car if one is bad ... they work in pairs. Or you could be like my wife and continously replace one different bulb every other month because you try to find a logical explanation as to why both need replaced, or in this case all four. She was so amazed that after I replaced both for her she had working headlights for a long, long time. Keep the old working ones for emergency burnouts on long trips or whatever.
                              They work in pairs, but neither knows if the other is working. If they share the same fuse and one light goes out, the other gets slightly more voltage but it's unlikely to shorten its life. I just replace the burnt out one, and carry on oblivious.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X