Stator shot after third test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator shot after third test

Did the stator test according to (Testing the stator, a pictorial guide ) by Basscliff.
    It passed the first test but failed the last two, continuity to ground and AC voltage. Puzzeled though, AC voltage at approx 4k between stator leads was only 11.6v. So because the stator is bad am I running strainght off the battery ?
    I have to confess that my battery is not up to snuff, just sitting no draw it's 12.68v, idling it's 11.54v. at 4k 11.46v.

Yes, you are running straight off the battery.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
      Did the stator test according to (Testing the stator, a pictorial guide ) by Basscliff.
      It passed the first test but failed the last two, continuity to ground and AC voltage. Puzzeled though, AC voltage at approx 4k between stator leads was only 11.6v. So because the stator is bad am I running strainght off the battery ?
      I have to confess that my battery is not up to snuff, just sitting no draw it's 12.68v, idling it's 11.54v. at 4k 11.46v.
      Those are good readings for a battery that's not being charged- you need to replace your stator!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks
        New stator it is then.
        I know Z-1 has a gasket set for 80 550e for $65.00, but where can I get just the magneto gasket for the bike.
        Or should I just go ahead and get the set for future use ?

Comment

I'll be honest, if you have some RTV Black lying around I would use that. I used that about 10 months ago and haven't had any issues. Just remember to let it "tack" up before you put it together and don't overtighten

Comment

I was thinking of something like that.
            All else fails I'll give it aq try
            Thanks

Comment

Thanks
              New stator it is then.
              I know Z-1 has a gasket set for 80 550e for $65.00, but where can I get just the magneto gasket for the bike.
              Or should I just go ahead and get the set for future use ?
              Hi,

You can buy just the stator cover gasket from any online OEM vendor. They're pretty cheap, probably less than shipping costs. For a onesy-twosy order I will sometimes use my local dealership. The part costs more but I don't have to pay shipping and they usually have it in a few days.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I would recommend you use a gasket instead of RVT. Do it the right way the first time if you can.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Check the part numbers on the electrex website... for the GS1000 & the Kawasaki KZ550 they are the same - i.e. the Kawasaki stator fits the GS1000 & the GS1100 & the GS750ES, not sure on others.

Why am I telling you...? 2nd hand Kawasaki stators go for about $15 on Ebay...! Much cheaper than Suzuki stuff.

If you're going new Ricks stators seem to have the best reputation.
                  Last edited by salty_monk; 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I was thinking of something like that.
                    All else fails I'll give it aq try
                    Thanks
                    I would use the correct gasket -try Alpha-sports in Limington, Maine. I got mine there $16 bucks and in stock.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thankyou all !
                      I'm going to go with the stock or aftermarket gasket and check out Ricks for the stator. I hope this takes care of the one after the other gremlins this poor bike has been suffering. It runs so well but mechanically but one stupid thing after another.
                      Looks like RMStator has them ($140.00) for 1980 550L, same for Z-1 I think, I'll assume it will fit a 80 550E.
                      Great site and an incredible wealth of knowlege and insight.

Comment

Working...
                      X