Jumper advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumper advice needed.

Ok back story. Fixing the busted gauge cluster on the Deer Slayer. While the cluster was off the bike and being fixed, I since replaced a couple items and one of them was the broke clutch cable. With all the gauge stuff unplugged from the headlight bucket, the bike doesnt start. Is there a way to jump the connections to get the bike started to adjust a couple things like the clutch cable and maybe get some fuel through the carbs?

Do you have a multimeter? What's the condition of the battery (i.e. is it putting out close to 13v without the key on? Does it have fluid? etc)? Are the carbs thoroughly dipped and cleaned? Is the airbox back on? Are your fuses all good?

If you are going to jump the bike from a car, use a NON-RUNNING vehicle so you don't kill the rest of your electrics in the process. But if you already know the battery isn't any good, go get a new one first
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No. I mean, jumpers in the sockets for the gauges and such. With the gauges off, the bike wont start. I guess its a design "feature". Just wasnt sure which plug needed to be jumped in lue of having the gauges all plugged in.

Comment

Oops, sorry
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I would remove the ignition switch from its mount and plug it into the harness. That way you have a good solid connection.

Comment

I wear woolen ones normally... Sometimes fleece.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
              Ok back story. Fixing the busted gauge cluster on the Deer Slayer. While the cluster was off the bike and being fixed, I since replaced a couple items and one of them was the broke clutch cable. With all the gauge stuff unplugged from the headlight bucket, the bike doesnt start. Is there a way to jump the connections to get the bike started to adjust a couple things like the clutch cable and maybe get some fuel through the carbs?
              Sure, just use jumper wire to ignitor plug positive, then jump solenoid! But please make sure you are in neutral and on centerstand!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X