Multimeter/battery drain confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimeter/battery drain confirmation

1979 GS850 Hey everyone I'm trying to see if I have a pull on my battery. I'm using my multimeter and just need someone to confirm I'm doing things the correct way. Switch my meter to 10A, move the red lead to the 10A port. Disconnect the positive wires on the battery then connect the black multimeter lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the red lead to the positive wire. If I see a reading on the multimeter that indicates a current being drawn from the battery at rest...right?? I'm not sure if I need to be connected to both the positive wires (one goes to the starter relay and the other goes to it's own individual fuse box, separate from the main fuse box) or just one of them. Will appreciate the help.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

That'll do it!

Comment

When its dark go into your garage and disconnect one of the wires from your battery- when the key is off of course. If you see a spark you have a draw! No high-falutin meters needed.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryC View Post
        When its dark go into your garage and disconnect one of the wires from your battery- when the key is off of course. If you see a spark you have a draw! No high-falutin meters needed.
        So if I start to remove one fuse at a time and use this spark method if I have no spark with a certain fuse remove the short must be in that circuit?
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

How quick is your suspected drain?

How long does it take to make the battery low enough to give you problems?

If it's a slow "drain" that takes a couple of weeks, it won't be strong enough to make a spark.
          A meter is a "must" in this case, and the 10A setting might not be sensitive enough.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Either my multimeter is busted or I don't have a drain. It reads -1. I replaced the fuse in the multimeter thinking that was it but no change. I actually disconnected the battery though and hooked a power converter up to it then put the multimeter in series and couldn't get it to read the draw....either I'm doing something simple very wrong or the multimeter is busted.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              So if I start to remove one fuse at a time and use this spark method if I have no spark with a certain fuse remove the short must be in that circuit?

huh? no comprendo senor

You must have a complete circuit. You can only make one break in it at any one time. If it is really dark, any drain will make a visible spark.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                1979 GS850 Hey everyone I'm trying to see if I have a pull on my battery. I'm using my multimeter and just need someone to confirm I'm doing things the correct way. Switch my meter to 10A, move the red lead to the 10A port. Disconnect the positive wires on the battery then connect the black multimeter lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the red lead to the positive wire. If I see a reading on the multimeter that indicates a current being drawn from the battery at rest...right?? ........
                Yes,... except: Put meter red to bat+ and meter black to +cable to get a positive amp reading on meter. Maybe the meter will not read negitive current.

Also keep in mind that most meters will have an internal fuse for the 10amp jack. So one way to test it would be to disconnect wiring to some other yhing like to a tail light or somehting, put the meter inline there and see if you read 1.5 amps or something, then know the fuse is good. Will blow the fuse immeadaily if had left leave the meter on the 10amp setting and put leads acrost something else that is esentailly the battery voltage. Will blow it so fast >twink< that you will not even recognise that anything happened.

If you do detect some current flow, even a fraction of an amps that will drain the battery a few days.
                Then to troubleshoot you can pull the fuses one at a time (save the main till last), and then disconnect the R/R. On second thought, discoonect the R/R as your first suspect.

Last edited by Redman; 07-29-2011, 09:55 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                X