update on gs 1000 charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update on gs 1000 charging problems

I followed the faultfinding chart from the stator papers and found all the components were ok. I then connected the voltage regulator/rectifier negative direct to the battery and the positive via an inline fuse. The voltage was 14.2v which has led me now to suspect there is a short somewhere leaking the voltage to earth. I have followed the wiring diagram but the loom seems to have been modified. Has anyone had experience of this? If so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The bike in question is a 78 GS1000; correct? and you have an aftermarket one piece regulator and rectifier; correct?

all you'll need to make it work is to connect the three wires coming from the stator to the three yellow wires on the R/R. the red wire of the R?R would connect to the 'switched' side the fuse panel and the negative connected to a GOOD ground.

if someone has 'modified' you loom and shorted a wire to earth, you may be in for a bit of fun.
    the factory wiring goes a bit helter-skelter as it is. are you sure someone has modified it? have you traced the wires shown in the factory wiring diagram yet?

***edit*** http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...6&postcount=14
    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes rustybronco, It is a 78 gs 1000. I have done the testing as described in the stator papers and all seems ok. I connected the ground from the r/r to the negative battery terminal, so there is definitely a good ground. When I connect the red wire to the "switched" side of the fuse panel, the voltage at the battery is still 13v. If I connect the red wire from the r/r via a inline fuse direct to the battery terminal, I get 14.2v which makes me think the r/r is ok and there is a short somewhere in the wiring loom/connectors. I have been at it for 2 days and still no joy. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by dant-40 View Post
        When I connect the red wire to the "switched" side of the fuse panel, the voltage at the battery is still 13v. If I connect the red wire from the r/r via a inline fuse direct to the battery terminal, I get 14.2v which makes me think the r/r is ok and there is a short somewhere in the wiring loom/connectors.
        I'd look for a bad connection (voltage drop) in the fuse panel. start with cleaning the fuse holders and soldering the wire connections to them on the back of the fuse panel. when done cleaning all that up, see if the voltage at the R/R matches the voltage @ the battery.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi Mr. dant-40,

Have a look at the electrical page on my little website for something that may help.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

gs 1000 electrical problem

Thanks very much for the replies rustybronco and Basscliff. On further investigation, I have now discovered some wiring issues. The 12 way connector at the front of the bike,just under the tank has been modified. It looks like the previous owner had a problem with the connector and has replaced the male part. To join this on, he has cut the wires, twisted them together and put heat shrink over them. Not a very good repair solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to solder the wires today and hopefully this will cure the problem. If not, I will keep on checking. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Cheers, Dan

Comment

Working...
            X