Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal relay mod not working!!!

Hey-

Decided to try the relay mod with the EP-34 Relay from Autozone. I thought I may have had a bad ground in the rear, (as my Yamaha did, and as soon as I wrapped the wire around the Yamaha stalks, they blinked!)

Anyways, I wired everything exactly as called for on Basscliffs how-to, except, for testing purposes, I wired the ground on the stalks directly to the battery negative post. And guess what, nothing lights up, not even the indicator on the dash lights up!

What gives? Anybody with advice on what the problem is? These are stock turn signals with the correct bulbs.

NOTE: All four of my turn signals light, along with the dash light when hooked through the stock relay, however, they do not blink. Hmm. I already cut the stock relay blade connector off. I guess I will re-solder it on and deal with non-blinking lights until someone offers a solution.

Thanks guys!

Ok, lets try this again. http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...6&postcount=19

I'd like to try and help but I haven't a clue what bike or what's been done to it in the past such as installing LED lights. if you'd care not to divulge what you've done or what bike this is being done to, then off hand I say you muffed up something when wiring the Turn Signal Relay Replacement 'mod'.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

What bike do you have? Were the blinkers working before you installed the aftermarket flasher?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Okay . . .

My bike is an '82 GS650L. The blinkers are stock. No modifications to the wiring harness have been made. Prior to the installation of the aftermarket relay, the blinkers would illuminate brightly, but not blink.
        After following Basscliff's instructions to the T, nothing lights, nor does the dash turn-signal indicator. Wires are clean, no breaks in the connections, etc. Package instructions are duplicate to Basscliff's instructions. NOTHING WORKS!
        Any explanation for this?

Comment

Can you show a picture of the connections you made at the new relay? If so, please show the color of the wires that come out of harness and which plugs they go into on your new relay.

Comment

Going outside now!

We had a box of Uncle Ben's Cream of Wheat in our pantry for ten years! Going outside now for a pic!

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              We had a box of Uncle Ben's Cream of Wheat in our pantry for ten years! Going outside now for a pic!

Funny thing is my first name isn't even Ben. I figured since most of the Harley guys I know call my bike a rice rocket I might as well embrace the whole "rice" thing.

Comment

After following Basscliff's instructions to the T, nothing lights...

Any explanation for this?
                You do realize those instructions are for a 1980 GS850G not a GS650 don't you? it might not be wired up the same as yours.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Pics of Turn Signal Relay Mod Setup

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=b1724ab2f170d079&page=play&resid=B1 724AB2F170D079!282&authkey=BU3m8IPRQg8%24
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Is the blue wire you have coming off the relay gounded to a good point? Make sure wherever you ground to is clear of paint and grime where the contact is made for a good connection. Also, make sure that your frame is grounded well to the negative pole of the battery. I grounded my relay to the bolt that holds the rear master cylinder to the frame. At this same point, I ran a ground wire straight to the negative pole of the battery.

Does that relay have a diagram printed on one side of it, or can you show the back of the package that has the diagram? thanks

Comment

Also, have you verified that you have power at the orange green wire regardless of the new relay?

Comment

The relay is connected straight to the battery for testing purposes. Not a ground? And no, I did not check to see that the green/orange wire had power. Checking now.

Comment

The relay is connected straight to the battery for testing purposes. Not a ground? And no, I did not check to see that the green/orange wire had power. Checking now.
                          IF you do have power at the O/G wire, I would check where your frame grounds to the battery next. Try running a jumper to a nice clean area free of paint on the frame.

Comment

Okay, power at the O/G wire is 9.6v, source voltage at battery is 11.9v. Why would running the relay to battery not count as a ground?
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Okay, power at the O/G wire is 9.6v, source voltage at battery is 11.9v. Why would running the relay to battery not count as a ground?
                              It will count as a ground to your relay, but if your signal bulbs aren't getting sufficient ground as well, it won't work. Seeing a >2volt loss from the battery to the O/G wire makes me wonder if you have some really corroded wiring or switch contacts somewhere as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X