Your plug gap opion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your plug gap opion

Hi. Do you have an opinion on setting the plug gap on either the small or large end of specs. ? I had always set mine to the large end thinking longer spark more burning but now I'am thinking smaller gap and quicker spark, by a zillionth of a sec. I know, but every little bit here and there adds up. May seem silly but just wondering.

.028"

Daniel

Comment

A zillionth is way overstating the duration.
      Engines are actually quite slow piston per piston spark per spark.

Comment

Ya. Kind of thinking out loud, something I have wondered about.

Comment

Hi,

I usually take them out of the box and slam them in. Anywhere between 0.025" and and 0.035" will work just fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

IF THE IGN IS STOCK I would stick with .025-028 With a Dyna ign & coils you could open it up to .035

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I usually take them out of the box and slam them in. Anywhere between 0.025" and and 0.035" will work just fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Me too. I don't even check them anymore. I've never seen out that was out of spec.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                IF THE IGN IS STOCK I would stick with .025-028 With a Dyna ign & coils you could open it up to .035
                Good thinking. Since it takes more volts to jump the wider gap, you're not using the Dynatec to it's full potential if you don't open up the plug gap a bit. That's why lots of new cars have a plug gap of .060". And playing with plug gaps can make a noticable difference in performance IF everything else is 100%. Race teams do it, and even go so far as to index the plugs, so it must work.

Comment

Indexing a plug is of no concern to someone that is willing to gamble on the gap "right out of the box."
                  They are also the ones that don't realize that many are damaged while "in the box."

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Me too. I don't even check them anymore. I've never seen out that was out of spec.
                    Me three. IIRC, B8-ES plugs are set at something like .028" (or is it .031"?) from the NGK factory -- at any rate, every one I've ever measured was gapped exactly the same and after a while I stopped measuring.

I eyeball them to make sure they haven't been dropped on the electrode or something, add a bit of anti-sieze and put them in without fussing with the gaps.

On to the next question, no, you do not need iridium plugs, rocket plugs, plasma plugs, plugs with funny shapes, plugs with multiple electrodes, or any of the assorted silly plug quackery out there this month.

If you have too much money lying around, the NGK iridium plugs at least won't hurt anything. Some of the goofy plugs can cause problems.

None of them make the least bit of difference in a GS engine. Just stick with NGK or ND plugs -- that's what your GS was wearing from the factory, and that what had been proven to work the best for decades. They're less than two bucks each at most auto parts stores, although they somehow magically double in price when found at a motorcycle shop.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wow you guys have got to be kidding. The last set of NGKs I put in when I gapped them they were all way out of spec either too small or way too big, one was .045 and other was .020 none were .028. I bought them from autozone but still I'd at least check them since it takes what a half a second to throw a feeler in there and another half to put it to spec?

Comment

Bit of old school trickey, I was once told and seen it myself.

"Narrower gap advance's ignition (less potential needed to jump) wider gap retards. "

You really ought check gap on new plugs, particualy the more generic the plug, its made to fit a range engines, and no one gap suit them all.

John

Comment

The Suzuki spec range is wide, much wider than NGK's production tolerance. I used to measure the plugs but after never finding one even close to being out of spec I stopped. I buy my plugs on-line from reliable vendors so I'm fairly certain they have never been out of the box. Buying from Auto Zone is a crap shoot in comparison. Sounds like someone was "over thinking" the whole gap issue and jacked around with those plugs. Cracks me up when people think they know better than Suzuki and NGK.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I always check them out of the box. That way, if there is a problem, I immediately know what it isn't. It only takes a second. Never found that many out of spec. Never indexed a plug, I've never gotten to the point in tuning that it would make a difference. But I have played with gaps after getting a bike to the best state of tune that I could accomplish at home. It CAN make a difference.

Comment

I buy em at Auto Zone or the like. I might spot check em now and again but usually just eyeball em.
                              Never had a problem.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X