Turn Signal Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Problem

The turn signals on my GS850 are not working! When I picked up the bike the turn signals worked intermettantly. I figured it was something wrong with the relays so i replaced the relay with a new one. In the mean time i took the two rear signals off and put them back on and now i hear the click in the relay but no lights blinking. When i turned the signal a little bit it seemed to take the electricity from the brake light and then act as the brake light. Is it just my ground that are messed up. I checked the fuses all they are all fine. Is they any way to test anything to pin point the problem? Thanks guys!

Chances are you will find that the turn signal control module is toast !!!! But check all of your grounds...

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Chances are you will find that the turn signal control module is toast !!!! But check all of your grounds...
      I'm afraid I have to agree, what you have is a first generation Turn Signal Control Unit, very unreliable, low time between failures rate.
      What's more, they are truly difficult to find used in serviceable condition,
      even though new ones are available, it's cost prohibitive to buy one, around $350.
      What most folks do is modify the wiring so they have working flashers
      and completely do away with that turn signal control unit.
      I would have to track down those posts that explain how to do that.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Oh wow that is quite a bit. I was eventually planing on making something like this:

So if i under stand right i just take the spring out in the auto cancelling to get the signlas to work agian, until i replace it wil a manual switch and turn it into the picture above? Thanks a ton for your help!!

Comment

Is this the part i am looking for?

Is the mod to fix this just to take the return spring out of the turn signal switch?

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
            Is this the part i am looking for?
            No it's not...
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The part you asked about turns out to be a second generation Turn Signal Control Unit, much more relialble and used on '80 and later machines.

The part you probably need is a first generation Turn Signal Control Unit,
              used on '79 GS850's and '78/'79 GS1000E's. Very rare part these days and most of the ones out there don't work, I collected a dozen or so and am still looking for a fully functioning one. Most folks just rewire their bikes to
              work without them.

Anyway, here's a auction (it's ended) but it will show you the culprit in question. Most commonly listed as something else, this as an ignitor (don't believe '79 GS850's had ignitors) but the listing says it tested good, how do they figure? The auction ended and it doesn't say why, but I did let him know it wasn't an ignitor. You'll have to scroll down to see it, notice it has "two" connectors as where the first generation turn signal control unit has one and a ground wire.

sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
              X